Updates

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: Updates

Post by Destinie »

Aku wrote:
Destinie wrote:@aku I know what you mean about slowly updating shrines in the past. I had several shrines that we're "live" but the content was never finished! XD but somehow people still liked them!? ;)
Yeah! In a way I feel like it was kind of motivating to have it out in the open. XD You're more likely to update something that people are waiting for/expecting something out of! (I also think it was kind of a way of making a "claim" on something, especially back in the day when shrining was a much more common thing lol).
Ah yeah, I remember the whole "claiming" thing. People would put up "First english fansite to X- Character! Woohoo!" And it was a big deal.

Man, I could never keep up with my one fansite a long time ago. I ran a general series Digimon website for a while (that had pretty much no content lol) and I put it up for adoption to go run my character shrines and blogs instead. So, this young guy adopted it from me and I guess when I stopped running the site then people had less interest in going there (my assumption only) so he HACKED into my collective at the time and plugged a huge, fat link on the front page that was like "Hey! Don't forget to visit X-Site!" Omg I was furious and sent him this huge email.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I couldn't keep up with updating that monster so I moved onto other things that required less attention. I remember I used to update my sites about a day or every other day. I kind of miss being able to do that but at the same time, it's good that I don't have a wall of updates that say things like "Just checking in! I'm still alive!".
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

How often do you update your shrines?
Not as often as I'd like. I'll think of something I'd like to do everyday, but sometimes it'll take me years to buckle down and get an update done (3/4 of the time though is because I forget about what I wanted to do).

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again? Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?
Yes, and sometimes although nowadays I try and complete a shrine before uploading it.

How often do you do layout changes?
Mostly when I feel like or inspiration strikes. I can keep the same layout for years pretty much.

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update? How do you record updates for your sites?
I try to leave all updates on a special page set up for them, which is shared around the domain, but sometimes I get lazy and don't post an update until sometime later.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
anon

Post by anon »

Destinie wrote:
Aku wrote:
Destinie wrote:@aku I know what you mean about slowly updating shrines in the past. I had several shrines that we're "live" but the content was never finished! XD but somehow people still liked them!? ;)
Yeah! In a way I feel like it was kind of motivating to have it out in the open. XD You're more likely to update something that people are waiting for/expecting something out of! (I also think it was kind of a way of making a "claim" on something, especially back in the day when shrining was a much more common thing lol).
Ah yeah, I remember the whole "claiming" thing. People would put up "First english fansite to X- Character! Woohoo!" And it was a big deal.

Man, I could never keep up with my one fansite a long time ago. I ran a general series Digimon website for a while (that had pretty much no content lol) and I put it up for adoption to go run my character shrines and blogs instead. So, this young guy adopted it from me and I guess when I stopped running the site then people had less interest in going there (my assumption only) so he HACKED into my collective at the time and plugged a huge, fat link on the front page that was like "Hey! Don't forget to visit X-Site!" Omg I was furious and sent him this huge email.

Anyway, that's besides the point. I couldn't keep up with updating that monster so I moved onto other things that required less attention. I remember I used to update my sites about a day or every other day. I kind of miss being able to do that but at the same time, it's good that I don't have a wall of updates that say things like "Just checking in! I'm still alive!".
Claiming was so crazy back in the earlier years. Good thing no one really cares anymore.

All this talk about Digimon is really motivating me to get with revamping my Sora site though. (Especially after running into rants about the 02 ending, oh, so many words I need to say about that)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Remember when how "good" the update was was measured by guest book entries? XD

I never liked the 02 ending, not only because of the lack of Taiora though, but a lot of aspects I won't get into here.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Adding on to this because right now I am working on a project that is a single site, but with many smaller character dedications under its umbrella and I want to say that I was missing this. I was really missing the ability to have an ongoing project in which each part is still a finished thing. *tear*
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

dubiousdisc wrote:Adding on to this because right now I am working on a project that is a single site, but with many smaller character dedications under its umbrella and I want to say that I was missing this. I was really missing the ability to have an ongoing project in which each part is still a finished thing. *tear*
that sounds awesome. Is some of it up yet?
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Mikari wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:Adding on to this because right now I am working on a project that is a single site, but with many smaller character dedications under its umbrella and I want to say that I was missing this. I was really missing the ability to have an ongoing project in which each part is still a finished thing. *tear*
Seconding! That sounds badass. :inlove:
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

How often do you update your shrines?

as of now, I barely touch my shrines at all. I still have two "underconstruction" shrines which I haven't had time to work on. I plan to work on them this coming winter break.

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again? Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?

before, I work on a shrine and upload them right away even though there are still some pages that are underconstruction. Nowadays, I got used to finish everything before uploading them and then barely update it afterwards. I just update my shrine if I missed spelling mistakes or grammar, or if I want to add more content for the gallery page.

How often do you do layout changes?

before I change layouts all the time! haha. I often change my layouts if I feel like the current layout doesn't work.

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update? How do you record updates for your sites?

for Fullmetal and Little Black Lord shrines, they have their own update page on the site. But in general, I use twitter to store/record my updates for everything aminuet.com related. :ok:
aminuet .。. king
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Shiori wrote:
Mikari wrote:
Seconding! That sounds badass. :inlove:
Not yet but I'll show you when I'll have something worth showing. :)
Varen

Post by Varen »

Since this is updates in general, I hope no one minds if I ask a question.

So most of us used to update our sites via LJ but since that's nearly a dead horse right now, I was considering making a new updates blog via Wordpress. Problem is, that might be even less convenient to post updates. Twitter might be a more reliable source for just quick updating, but I need more space than they provide to write. So any opinions on what's easy for a lazy person like me to update? The more convenient it is, the more likely I will use it.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again