Updates

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Shiori

Re: Updates

Post by Shiori »

Mikari wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:Adding on to this because right now I am working on a project that is a single site, but with many smaller character dedications under its umbrella and I want to say that I was missing this. I was really missing the ability to have an ongoing project in which each part is still a finished thing. *tear*
that sounds awesome. Is some of it up yet?
Seconding! That sounds badass. :inlove:
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

How often do you update your shrines?

as of now, I barely touch my shrines at all. I still have two "underconstruction" shrines which I haven't had time to work on. I plan to work on them this coming winter break.

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again? Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?

before, I work on a shrine and upload them right away even though there are still some pages that are underconstruction. Nowadays, I got used to finish everything before uploading them and then barely update it afterwards. I just update my shrine if I missed spelling mistakes or grammar, or if I want to add more content for the gallery page.

How often do you do layout changes?

before I change layouts all the time! haha. I often change my layouts if I feel like the current layout doesn't work.

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update? How do you record updates for your sites?

for Fullmetal and Little Black Lord shrines, they have their own update page on the site. But in general, I use twitter to store/record my updates for everything aminuet.com related. :ok:
aminuet .。. king
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Shiori wrote:
Mikari wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:Adding on to this because right now I am working on a project that is a single site, but with many smaller character dedications under its umbrella and I want to say that I was missing this. I was really missing the ability to have an ongoing project in which each part is still a finished thing. *tear*
that sounds awesome. Is some of it up yet?
Seconding! That sounds badass. :inlove:
Not yet but I'll show you when I'll have something worth showing. :)
Varen

Post by Varen »

Since this is updates in general, I hope no one minds if I ask a question.

So most of us used to update our sites via LJ but since that's nearly a dead horse right now, I was considering making a new updates blog via Wordpress. Problem is, that might be even less convenient to post updates. Twitter might be a more reliable source for just quick updating, but I need more space than they provide to write. So any opinions on what's easy for a lazy person like me to update? The more convenient it is, the more likely I will use it.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Varen As a visitor, I usually just check people's front page to see the date they last updated. I follow a few people on twitter which I think is more accessible and faster than using LJ. I still use LJ to post my updates but I feel like it's so clunky to use for writing about what you updated. I'd rather just have a log where in 140 characters I can post about what I did.

If you still wanted a custom design or wanted it more accessible (so it's part of your site and people wouldn't have to navigate to twitter if they didn't want to), maybe make a page that just pulls your tweets from an Iris-noire twitter account?
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I agree that Twitter is very convenient, I've been using it too.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Bumping this because I recently changed the way I am doing updates!

Each site will have updates either on the main page or an Updates page. There, I will go into updates in-depth. I started a new Twitter, @nightallaround, to call these updates out in. I'll basically just briefly mention the update and link the shrine updated for visitors to visit to read more about what's changed. Feel free to follow it!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Varen I use a combo of Wordpress update journal + Twitter--the WP updates auto-post to Twitter thanks to a plugin, so it's super-convenient. Also, I can use the Twitter account by itself to log teeny tiny updates that don't really require a fully written-out post, or to chat with fellow webdesigners ^_^
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Todd wrote:Bumping this because I recently changed the way I am doing updates!

Each site will have updates either on the main page or an Updates page. There, I will go into updates in-depth. I started a new Twitter, @nightallaround, to call these updates out in. I'll basically just briefly mention the update and link the shrine updated for visitors to visit to read more about what's changed. Feel free to follow it!
Hehe, I love the name you chose.
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:
Todd wrote:Bumping this because I recently changed the way I am doing updates!

Hehe, I love the name you chose.
Thanks, haha.