Unique pages

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Unique pages

Post by dubiousdisc »

Let's talk unique pages in fansites! Pages with a theme that you haven't seen anyone else do anything of the sort.
Do you have any pages like that in any of your sites? Have you seen other people have pages like that?

I suppose this topic is more so to gush about really cool features that we've seen (and tout our own), but I'm really interested to hear about everyone's processes and how those pages came to life. :D

The first I'm thinking of right now would be @Robin's poetry page in her Clefairy site. I've seen a few pages with poetry about a certain character in old fansites many years ago, but never one also including a selection of particular quotes relating to one character! It's amazing, and that must have taken so much mental effort to put together...
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Unique pages

Post by Robin »

@dubiousdisc omg you're so sweet to say so! ;w;

Honestly I think the page started out as just a google search like "poems/quotes about fairies," because I was thinking "what are the major references to fairies in literature? omg English major mode activate! SEARCH ALL THE THINGS!" And then I ran across several pages with various quotes and just copy-pasted to my heart's content. xD

One thing I'm glad I created is the Screen Illustration Module I created for the defunct game City of Heroes, to help new players figure out what all the doodads on the player display actually mean. Though I must admit it is dated in this age of tapping on screens instead of hovering mouse cursors, it was still super useful for several people who emailed me about it and thanked me for it :D

Also, I love @Larissa's "music of FFVI" site's arrangements playlist--most of the time, folks just include official video game music on sites like these, so it's really neat to compare the originals to the arrangements, etc. :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Janna

Post by Janna »

That... is just amazing. We always tend to do the same stuff for sites and that seriously imploded my mind. I gotta love how unique and original that is and I don't think I've seen anything like that before! Haha.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

@Robin Dude. Look at you, saying you did all of that prefaced with "just" XD
It's awesome to be able to use one's area of expertise in fansites!

Told you already before but the Screen Illustration Module is amazing and I'd never seen it before now!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubiousdisc @Janna aww thank you both! I'm not really sure what possessed me to do the poetry selections or the Screen Illustration Module but I'm glad I did them :D I like it when I visit sites that have little passion side-projects like that :D

omg and Dubs I remember when I first came across your Toys for Dumb Children on your website back in the day! I was like "HOW WAIT HUH WHAT IS THIS SORCERY I DON'T EVEN--YOU MEAN I CAN CLICK THINGS AND PLAY IN HERE OOOOOOO"
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org