Multiple Page vs Single Page Site Sections

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Fiona

Re: Multiple Page vs Single Page Site Sections

Post by Fiona »

I would say I tend to go for multiple pages "Site" sections.

I really liked the idea of having a work cited list (kind of like the footnotes at the bottom of a wikipedia article) from the last shrine I made back in 2008 before I left that shrining world for a while. However, for some strange reason, I never really liked actual footnotes but to separate the citations from the actual content itself, so I go for the multiple pages just to have that work cited list on its own page along with credits and acknowledgements. When I got back into shrining last year, I still chose to keep the work cited thing, at least I would like to keep it for all of my Final Fantasy shrines anyway. Haha.

The section I used to separate but now combined would be the "Links" section. I used to have a section for all the buttons and stuff for others to link back to my sites, and a separate section for links to other sites related to my shrines, but now I just combined those two sections together because there aren't as many shrines out there anymore for certain topics (that makes me sad). I also think it's because frames layouts and using really small fonts were popular back in the days (since screen resolutions for monitors used to be way smaller, like 800x600 and 1024x768 were the norm), so the space you get for all your contents was quite tiny. Nowadays, I think many people choose to use div layouts that use most of the screen, and with that you get more blank spaces for your written content (plus you can use bigger front sizes), so it's natural to make longer sections with more written content.
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Aww Fiona laid it out so well. :heart: :heart: :heart: I had never thought about the "shift" to fewer site pages this way, but it does make sense - layouts and their content areas as well as resolutions becoming larger!

Of the multi-page shrines I have, five have multiple pages in the site section, whereas three have all the content on a single page. At the moment, that does correlate with fandom size and source material size, but, knowing future projects I'd like to make and that I have somewhat mapped out, I don't think those are the primary factors. Aside from "technicals" (credits, links, buttons, etc.), I usually treat site sections as a full-fledged part of the shrine, a kind of personal epilogue and retrospect as I reflect not just on the subject, but also what it means to me, and perhaps my feelings and thoughts on it over the years.

Things that I generally mention in one way or another are:
  • the subject in relation to myself
  • meaning of the shrine title
  • what thoughts went into making the layout
It's mostly that first point on the list that varies in length, so most of the time, that decides whether or not the site section becomes multi-page or not.

Usually, for smaller projects, or projects that don't have as much "substance" based on source material size, I make site sections shorter because chances are I've already expressed all I've wanted to say over the course of the shrine, which includes my personal view on things.

For bigger projects, I try not to write the site section (even though I know what I want to talk about) until I'm further into the project so as to prevent suboptimal repeating: If something that I want to address in the site section is better off being discussed in the main parts of the shrine, I prefer to have it there so that it gets more focus and is better embedded into the overall impression. I would then reserve pages in the site section for further examination or summarization of the subject from an angle that hasn't been covered elsewhere on the shrine.

Sooo most of this is planned - but, as with everything else, it's good not to fixate too much on that plan and leave space for other options as you figure out your shrine while working on it. As a visitor, I have no definite preference: I do greatly enjoy reading what a subject means to a person, or their history with it, but not everyone necessarily wants to talk about that, and it's by no means a must have. If there isn't much to add, leave it as is. As Fiona said, a bunch of older shrines have a looooot of links in the site sections for one reason or another... Nowadays, I prefer scrolling over clicking/loading, so if the links, buttons and credits parts aren't overly long, I like it more when they're grouped together in some way.

---

Slightly off-topic, but fun to talk about, and fun to discover on other people's shrines?

One of my favourite site sections I've done is Strength of Heart's because, despite not commenting on the layout and the shrine title (I don't write about the title if it's self-explanatory when reading the shrine), there was a lot of fun stuff to talk about. :heart:

On future shrines, I think I'd like to try connecting my own creations more by putting other shrines I've made in relation to the respective subject, such as on Sway. It's fun to think about what draws you to certain subjects and what things they have in common. Also slightly makes up for the lack of links due to lack of affiliates for the same subject. :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

I really enjoy reading translation commentary (usually in the form of FAQs) on other people's site section, whether it's about their own translation process or what they've learned about different translations. And hilarious FAQs in general BECAUSE OLD SCHOOL. Or any kind of trivia, and links to recommended sites and articles for further info, including compilations of official sites. Full site histories with numbers and names make me nostalgic because they remind me of big fansites back in the day, which really prized their own history. :music: Aaaand a page on planned content is always interesting to see, and makes the site look active to me...

tl;dr I REALLY LOVE IT WHEN THERE'S A SURPRISING AMOUNT OF CONTENT POPPING UP IN THE SITE SECTION. :heart:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

...And all this lovely stuff aside (Lethe: you are allowed to slap me), I usually do it on one page because I'm always awkward on those sorts of pages and I feel like I'm talking over myself and, if I'm to discuss the personal significance of the subject etc. etc., I've usually already done so to satisfaction in the rest of the site. (SAD TROMBONE)

The main point of the site page for me is for the credits and to link out to other things (I'm a big fan of the idea of the citations, Fiona!!), but I find I don't have that much to do with it? In fact, I think I find less to link to the bigger the community is, because I don't find much of a point to link to every Pokemon fansite and then have to maintain the list. It's just not the scope of my site.

I can't say that's something I plan, but I more so don't expect the site section to be that big, so I allocate one (small) page to it.

As a visitor, on the other hand, I am interested in what everyone else has to say, however long it gets. I just find it hard to talk about it myself.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Most of my older shrines have multiple page site sections, but recently I've decided combining everything into one page is a lot easier. There's just not enough content to go into my site sections that I really deem important enough to separate into smaller, individual pages. It's also a lot easier to get everything on one page so I'm not spending a large amount of time on a section of the site I really dread making.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I differ on every site...some sites I'll do just a longer "links, etc." page for references/credits, links, link buttons, affiliates, etc., and some sites I'll make it into a complete section (especially to separate out a long list of references and credits).

I think it really depends, for me, on how long that single page of site stuff is getting--if I feel like it's entirely too much scrolling (more than two revolutions of the scroll wheel), I'll break it into chunks and make a section out of it ^_^;
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I love the idea of adding more content to the "site" section. That's usually just where I throw links and credits. It seems like a nice opportunity to try and come up with some new ideas! I really like what Larissa had created for her future site plans.