Shrine names

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Shrine names

Post by dubiousdisc »

The following is a discussion topic from February 2009/March 2010! You might also be interested in the forum topics Name Meme (August 2012) and Naming Your Shrines (June 2013). For name changes, see ch-ch-ch-changes (September 2010), Giving same name to different sites (May 2016) and Changing Shrine Names (April 2016) in addition.
  • How do you come up with the names for your shrines?
  • What sort of names do you like to give to your shrines?
  • What sort of names do you like in other people's shrines? Any favourites?
  • What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to find a name for their site?
Bonus Questions
  • What names did you almost give to your shrines, but didn't?
  • Are there any names you're currently unsatisfied with and would like to change?
Anise

Re: Shrine names

Post by Anise »

How do you come up with the names for your shrines?
I think about it a lot. Sometimes I try to think of song lyrics or just something catchy if I can't come up with something off the top of my head but most of the time the shrine titles just come to me.

What sort of names do you like to give to your shrines?
Ones I feel fit the character I guess? I like them to be on the shorter end just so that I can easily make buttons but that doesn't always work out 100% because sometimes longer titles just fit better.

What sort of names do you like in other people's shrines? Any favourites?
I like clever names and ones that speaks to how the shrine author interprets the character I suppose. I do have favorites too many to name but I feel like Poltergeist is a great one and My Hands is another favorite. There are a ton of others but those are two that come to mind.

What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to find a name for their site?

Keep thinking about it. Some days I spend weeks or months thinking of a title for a shrine until it comes to me and I just know that's the title.

What names did you almost give to your shrines, but didn't?

Loyalty was almost Lycoris but while lycorises are heavily used around Raikou and Gau the meaning of the flower didn't quite fit their relationship. Charlatan went through a lot of name ideas before I finally found the exact word I wanted to use to convey the title.

Are there any names you're currently unsatisfied with and would like to change? RainShine has always been meh but it's already gone through a name change so I don't see myself changing it again. Checkmate is also just all right.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I try to go with a super-meaningful word or phrase that perfectly describes the subject matter (I'm apparently especially fond of two-word meaningful shrine names, such as "Something Good," "Inexhaustible Peace," "Elusive Enchanter," and "Lux Perpetua"). When there's a single word that encapsulates the idea behind the shrine, though, I'll choose that instead ("Counterbalance" and "Gifted" are examples), even if the word is a little wacky. xD

I like names with a sort of mythical/timeless/poignant feeling to them, especially names that carry more meaning after you've read through the shrine. (Thinking especially of "Love You to the Moon" for that last point ;_;) The way I know that the shrine name is "right" is when I say the name out loud and I have to sigh in appreciation afterward. LOL

I tend to favor the same type of mythical/timeless feeling in other people's shrine names, too, though I am absolutely a sucker for wordplay and puns as well. Some favorite shrine names:
What advice would you give to someone who is struggling to find a name for their site?
I would suggest first browsing through Dictionary.com and Thesaurus.com to find cool words and phrases to help name your shrine...and if you're super stuck and everything sounds like it's been done before, check out The Phrontistery for lots of really weird but awesome words!!

I almost named my Dove shrine "Lady of Light," but I was afraid it would be construed a shrine to the Virgin Mary instead. Thus, why I eventually went with the title "Lux Perpetua" ("perpetual light" in Latin). Let's see...also, I remember kicking around the name "Tiniest Rescuer" for my Evinrude shrine, but I didn't like the rhythm of the words together (word rhythm means a lot to me too). "Good Ol' Ev!" is one of the lines used to describe Evinrude as a character, so I went with that instead.

Are there any names you're currently unsatisfied with and would like to change?
I'm not overly happy with the name of my Clefairy site, "Elusive Enchanter." It's a bit clumsy to say and read, and it doesn't QUITE have the mythical/timeless feeling I like, but it's close enough that I haven't been bothered to change it yet. xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Some I name after songs, some just pop into my head, some are concoctions of words or phrases I found on lyric databases... If all else fails I just let my brain wander and it usually comes back with something useful. Eventually.

Ones that I'm so happy with that a year or more down the line they still make me feel like I can never be that creative again.

My all-time favorite is "Switchblade Mermaid", which was Shiori's name for the Aluminum Seiren FL back when she ran it, but two of my favorite names of current shrines are Todd's A Murder of Crows and Destinie's Country Bumpkins. :heart:

Overthink it because that's part of the fun, and there's no shame in changing it later on. Change it until you love it.

I almost named my Diece fanlist "Lady Strange" because it sounded mysterious and elegant to me. In the end I went with Rated X because, while Diece has some elegance, she's far from mysterious and was probably in more video nasties than her immortal drunk ass can recall.

I'm still on the fence about the title of my Seraphim Call shrine that I need to finish. :x
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Kiel Awwww ty~! >///< ♥

In all honesty: either while I'm walking or in the shower. I think about the site I am going to make and about the character's personality. What do I want to highlight? I feel like the title is a glimpse into knowing the character before getting into reading the shrine.

I really like cool sounding titles or ones that have dual meanings! I also like titles that are only one or two words because it's easier to slap that on a button. (I recall back in the day people abbreviated the titles of their shrines on their buttons and I don't really like to do that anymore.)

I always think everyone else is so creative! Here's some I like:

Bell, Book, & Candle- It rolls of the tongue and it I like the imagery a lot.
Ruin- Michelle's work has probably influenced me more than she realizes. This is one of my favorite shrines ever and I love the title because it has multiple meanings and I think it's just a perfect fit for the character.
Ripples- IDK it's kind of poetic and intriguing, yet mysterious!
Oh So Modern Jezebel- Shiori's sites are down but I read this shrine so much! I loved the title because not only did it really embody the character but it also had a lot of attitude!
The Epic Love Story of Groose (And Impa) - This title makes me think I'm getting ready to read a short story before bed. I love it because it's unique and says it all, really!
I AM2 - I just think this is the most clever title!

I really like when I am reading a shrine and I get to a point where I understand WHY it was named that, but not by an "about" page, but rather through the writing itself. (Usually for single or double word titles) I like when I think other people take chances and write a longer, intriguing title (because I always gravitate to my default).

Relax. It will come to you. ;)

I'm kind of unsatisfied but also in love with the name for my upcoming Godzilla shrine. Atomic Heart fits but I don't know if it's monstrous enough. I kind of wanted to stay away from mentioning "Monster" and "King". If I find a better thing I guess I will replace it but it will stay what it is for now.

Also, my [forever upcoming] Saint Tail shrine is currently called "Love Trick". I desperately want a better name. I feel like the name is what is deterring me from working on it (along with all the stuff I want to write). It doesn't feel like me and it doesn't really perfectly embody the character. I will probably work on the name when I have more time later. :)
Aku

Post by Aku »

When I'm shrining, most of the time I have a "focus" for what kind of message I want to drive home with a subject. Therefore, I usually think about the central theme I'm focusing on in my shrine, because alongside describing the shrine it's also character defining. (A lot of Ranka's shrine is about her growing + gaining courage through the power of her song... "Brave Song" lol.)

I think for me it's important that it evokes the feeling of the character and the shrine itself! If it's comedic I want it to have a funnier title, ("Mind Your Sugar Levels"). I think it's fun if the visitor knows what they're getting themselves into as soon as they read the title. I personally like to avoid going for the super obvious/easy way out (like I dunno... naming my Ranka shrine after one of her songs or something like that), but I have nothing against other people who take that route! I've done it for a few fanlistings, but with shrines I like to put a little more consideration into what I've written and what it means. I think about it like a book!!

I like witty titles or things that have a little bit of attitude (Emma's "Captain of Division Awesome", Lucas' "Shining Prince of Nothing", Cherri's "Hot Fuzz"), but I also like really simple ones that are very carefully chosen & considered words. (Chrissy's "Will" says a ton about Yuna with just one word.)

Sometimes it's easier to name a shrine after you've written it! I think there's a lot of pressure to have a "working title" and something to refer to when you're going through it, but I would say if you're really struggling, wait until you're further along! Something will surely come along as you're writing. (And don't be afraid to change it later on, either, if you find something better!)

Re: Bonus Questions
I can't think of any old names I wanted to use, but one I'd consider changing if I ever revamped it is Kanji's shrine! (Duality). I think it's a pretty generic term for Persona 4 as a whole (as well as just in general... I've seen some other people on Amassment alone consider it as a name LOL) and I could probably make it more personal to Kanji! Feel like I'd like something a bit funnier, but all in all I'm pretty lazy so... :swt:
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

It depends a lot on the subject. Sometimes I'll think of a name from a song, or an ability they use, or some phrase I feel somehow fits them. With Pokemon I generally use a move or skill.

I want something that fits who they are, or something I can connect with them. Sometimes I'm weird and give shrines names that come from something else entirely (ie: Radiant Dawn is also the name of a Fire Emblem game)

Man this is tough. I know there are a lot but I can't think of any right now. Ugh.

Think of several possible ideas and then ask your friends which they like best. Works every time for me.

I almost called Lullaby Hyrule's Princess which was the name of the fanlisting when I had adopted it. It didn't really sit with me to want to keep it so I thought up something else instead. Also Shuriken I almost called Ninja Frog.

I am totally unhappy with the name Wyvern Friend and want to change it but I can't think of anything better. Sentience also feels kinda weird, but again can't think of anything better.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I struggle a lot with site names, but I tend to think about the subject and how they/it can be described. Sometimes, in rare cases, I'll have working title right from the start (e.g. for Momiji I'd decided on it right away), but most of the time it'll take me a while to come up with something.

I'd like for the name to be related to the subject, but not necessarily directly evident, if that makes sense? But I feel like often I end up with very cheesy titles. :x

Hmmm... I've never really thought about this, but I love to browse through Shinju's sites because I think they sound very pretty!

Try asking other people for suggestions! Sometimes I know what kind of name I want, but I can't come up with an actual title, so by explaining it to someone else, maybe they'll know something fitting your description!

I once made a layout for a planned site and thought I had the perfect name for it, but while I was browsing around I found out the fanlisting for it has the exact same name, haha. I contacted the owner and they said they didn't mind if I named my site the same thing, but considering it's for the same subject, I'd prefer to name it something else.

Not for my current shrines, but I do have a few fanlistings I'd like to have better titles for.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

How do you come up with the names for your shrines? What sort of names do you like to give to your shrines?
I usually consider the theme and personality of the subject and/or series! Sometimes I like to use wordplay of different languages (though I haven't done this in any COMPLETED shrines, I have a few in the works with it!). Wordplay in general is pretty fun, Fairy Deadly is probably one of my favourite titles I've ever come up with. I also like to use names of weapons or items from video games sometimes, for example, Dark Matter is an item from Final Fantasy but has nothing to do with Pokemon, though it still fits as a name for my Giratina shrine. :>

Coming up with names is probably one of my favourite things for shrines, albeit it usually takes some time for me to come up with them because I'm very picky about names.

Ohhhh, yes!! Everyone does such a good job with names!! Anything that sounds pretty really...

:star: Braveheart
:star: Brave Song
:star: Rock Steady
:star: Stormfall
:star: DIVIDE
:star: A Murder of Crows

To name a few!

Experimentation!!! Try all different kinds of avenues to come up with names, whether it's song lyrics, series references, the thesaurus, or looking up words in different languages, you can only get a feel for what you like by trying different things. I personally really like looking up song lyrics for music I feel reminds me of the subject.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Shower/pre-sleep inspiration! Or song lyrics, that works too.

Short and ironic, apparently? Also puns. But I like very short names. Between 1 and 3 words.

It took me forever to understand why Todd had named his Tidus shrine Poltergeist but now I do and the cleverness hurts.

Walk away from it for a bit! Inspiration works best when you're not straining to produce something.

Bonus Questions

Oh boy. My Chiaki Tachibana shrine almost got named Not What Darwin Meant in reference to her Reason strongly promoting Social Darwinism in the sense commonly understood on the internet (survival of the biggest, meanest mofos) but yeah, that was a little too sarcastic even for me.

I also wanted to make a dick joke in the title of Mara's shrine but that felt a little too obvious.

Yes.

My Gale (DDS) fanlisting was named Token Sane One and dammit I cannot think of a better title for the shrine.

My Junpei Iori/Akihiko Sanada fl was named Emperor & Magician; the shrine will be named Senpai Noticed Me!.

My Roland shrine was named Facing Destiny; the revamp will be called Dharma.

My Vergil tribute/fl was named Broken Mirror; the revamp will be named Stronger.

My Dante/Vergil fl was named Highway to Hell; I kinda want to rename it but I don't know what to name it.

My Lucifer fl was named Morning Star but it's a little too obvious?; I intend to title his shrine L'énigmatique Monsieur D..

My Renji/Ichigo shrine's working title is Stray Dog Under the Moon but it's not terribly clever.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone