Dream Big

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Re: Dream Big

Post by Todd »

Shiori wrote:I kind of like the masturbatory element to site making. Putting a site online, for me, feels like presenting an extended written piece in front of a high school-sized class. It's only a small group of people who are going to sit there are listen, but you reach them in a way that isn't restricted by the inherent brevity of social media. I love sitting on Tumblr and posting crap I like, but sometimes I just need a distinct space in which to organise my thoughts on a particular topic. If I have something punchy to say, I like to put it in a sphere where it is accessible (Tumblr/Twitter for example). When I can't edit down my feels enough, it's website time.
I actually really like that too. I know it sounds selfish, but I make my sites first for me, and second for everyone else. That's why when I open a shrine, it's mostly tl;dr walls of text. Then I go back and start adding fan sections, galleries, etc. I like to eventually include more people in on my shrines, like how my Tidus site has donations from Mikari all over the place, Jo's sprite she made me on the index, and fan art from friends, but that comes after the site is opened. The first stage is just me releasing creative energy and venting about something I love.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think shrines are pretty personal. I mean, it IS something you are making to show your affection and there are so many personal aspects to it. It's not really a general site because it's more about "I love this character and here's why" and I too get some joy out of accomplishing that. ;)

I was also thinking of some other shrines I forgot to add to my list!

I'd really like to do another Animanga site to Saint Tail. She's my favorite. She really got me into manga and magical girls and I re-read it recently and watched the entire anime and just AWWW I love iiitt. So CUTE and wonderful.

I do a lot of video game shrines but back in the day I had a bunch of Digimon shrines, so it was more anime-centric. I think I just have more of a taste for Video games but srsly, Saint Tail needs some love.

I was also inspired by Sarah's Orca shrine, so I wanted to do one for Cheetahs.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I feel more personal about fanfics because it's in a sens what I wish would happen. Some sites I made are in a style to favor (what I think) visitors may like more so than my own style. I guess that's why they're not the most important part of my collective to me, but I do still enjoy them.

I want to do a shrine to plot bunnies... not fandom-specific, but just plot bunnies in general... odd topic, no?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

NO THAT IS ACTUALLY AN EXCELLENT IDEA MIKARI
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I'm not sure how I would go about it though.
Saya

Post by Saya »

Destinie wrote:I'd really like to do another Animanga site to Saint Tail. She's my favorite. She really got me into manga and magical girls and I re-read it recently and watched the entire anime and just AWWW I love iiitt. So CUTE and wonderful.
YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO THAT
and I need to re-read it =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Saya wrote:
Destinie wrote:I'd really like to do another Animanga site to Saint Tail. She's my favorite. She really got me into manga and magical girls and I re-read it recently and watched the entire anime and just AWWW I love iiitt. So CUTE and wonderful.
YOU SHOULD TOTALLY DO THAT
and I need to re-read it =)
♥ ♥ Maybe I will! I need to think about what my big shrine effort will be for 2013/2014 lol!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Destinie, I agree with Saya! A Saint Tail shrine would be adorable. I've only ever read the first two volumes (which I still own), but I enjoyed that much of it. [s]I wish I could remember now why I never continued it..[/s]

Mikari, a plot bunny site would be so interesting! I love seeing out-of-the-ordinary shrine ideas like that. :)

I'm starting to think the Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu) shrine I wanted to make for so long is now just a dream. I would have to rewatch both seasons of the anime, and that might take me a while. Not to mention, I've always been so intimidated by how expansive the Haruhi universe is. I would only cover Kyon as he appears in the anime, and I would state so on the site, but I think I would still feel like it is lacking in something. :/ I know a lot of other people have encountered this with characters from large franchises. It's frustrating!
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Sarah wrote: I'm starting to think the Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu) shrine I wanted to make for so long is now just a dream. I would have to rewatch both seasons of the anime, and that might take me a while. Not to mention, I've always been so intimidated by how expansive the Haruhi universe is. I would only cover Kyon as he appears in the anime, and I would state so on the site, but I think I would still feel like it is lacking in something. :/ I know a lot of other people have encountered this with characters from large franchises. It's frustrating!
I think you could do it! Just tackle it a little bit at a time. :) It's easy to feel rushed (at least, I think so! I always want to get a site out there as soon as I can!) but if you try to do a little bit here, and a little bit there, you can do it! Also, try not to think about how much you HAVE to cover, but how much you WANT to cover. The shrine is made for you, right? You have fun doing it? Then make it so it's fun!

(Also, I know nothing about Haruhi Suzumiya except for that dance scene that people do at every anime convention I pass by, so I'd be really interested in seeing it! |D; )
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Because I am into WoW so much I've thought of opening some sort of related shrine to something from the series, but I'm not really sure how you could shrine anything from an MMO. It is still something I'd like to try to do though. x.x
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.