Inspiring Media Sections

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Lethe

Inspiring Media Sections

Post by Lethe »

While working on an image gallery for a shrine today, I was stressing out about what image resolutions to upload (just enough for visitors to see the full image, or highest possible resolution so that the shrine is a place for resources). Anyway, that's not what I want to talk about, but while worrying about that, I went and checked out other people's media sections to see how they're handling it. And while at it, I remembered I've always wanted to make a topic where people can post links of media sections on shrines they particularly like - for inspiration!

(I've recently linked these in a Shrine Retrospect Series topic already, but I do enjoy discussions about what to include in media sections nowadays if you're adamant about making one.)

There's different ways media sections inspire me too: what kind of material they choose to include, the selection that they make (for example in the case of self-taken screencaps), the presentation, creative extras for visitors... Anyway, here's my pile of links - please link us to media sections you love too, including your own if there's one you're particularly proud of! :D
  • Divide - FF is branching out so much nowadays with spin-offs and cameos of characters in those spin-offs, etc. It's lovely to see a hub for those in the absence of dedicated galleries, and focused on a particular character, even if the spin-off games aren't part of the shrine. SQUALL IS SO PRETTY AAAAAHH. THIS IS HOW A FINAL FANTASY MEDIA SECTION MAKES ME HAPPY. ;_; (Same for Roses Have Thorns, though the links are broken.)
  • il pleut - Not a shrine, but I stumbled upon this the other day and I LOVE IT SO MUCH, it's so inspiring. I adore b/w manga panels, so to see them get such a detailed gallery focused on one character is a dream.
  • Hydro Powered - One of my top favourite galleries. Self-taken high resolution b&w scans, lovely crops, the amount of completion and dedication...
  • Worm King's Lullaby / death wish - Fanmixes along with covers and some commentary and gorgeous CSS wizardry? /SCREAMS. Also, personal fanfic recommendations with commentary...! I still have a shrine where I want to post fanfic recs, but I have no idea how to format it and how to not risk going on a tl;dr about the fanfics themselves.
  • Neo Nobility - Coupled with the unique theme of the shrine itself, the media section just becomes that extra special.
  • Brave Song - Extension of main shrine because you love your shrine subject that much!!
  • Somewhere Only We Know / Trust Your Heart / a bunch of Pokémon shrines - I like sprite galleries, they're cute. You can't bore me with a wall of sprites.
  • Ace of Hearts - Adoptables and bookmarks HOW CUTE IS THAT OMG!!
  • Sky Coloured Oceans - The sheer wealth of media on this shrine omgggg.
  • Easy Breezy / Black and White - I'm so in love with this vertical thumbnail presentation I'M GOING TO START DOING IT TOO.
  • Total Venus Destination - Yes, I absolutely want that character songs list along with all the lyrics and their English translation.
  • Stormfall - Twitter themes. Might not work anymore due to Twitter changing sizes, but I love the concept itself.
  • Winds of Change - Media sections that are so extensive and meticulous and high quality that they become the internet's resource hub for the subject. O_O
  • Brave Song - Doesn't work anymore, but yes, character-related playlists! (And this shrine's entire Melody section just omggg.)
  • Alluring Eyes - We need more visual novel shrines, and CG galleries are totally why. SO MUCH EYE CANDY.
  • Shrines with Merchandise galleries and info pages.
  • I haven't or don't remember seeing this in effect, but I've seen at least one shrine that had plans to offer them: premade layouts.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Anise

Re: Inspiring Media Sections

Post by Anise »

What a great idea! I'm always looking for cool and inspiring media sections because it's one of the hardest sections for me to make. Here are a few that standout to me:

Paint It Black- There is so much content just in the media section. My favorites are the twitter themes and iphone wallpaper since they're something pretty unique.
Poltergist- Todd has a picture of his 27th birthday cake which has Tidus on it. It also has PS Vita wallpapers which is really good.
Into The Black- Another media section with a wide variety of media. I like that Megan included the traditional things like a fanart (often overlooked) but also added unique touches like 'Support Banners' and 'Adoptables'.
Lucky Cat - Has some great sections like a merchandise section which I find to be really cool.

There are a ton of others but those are just a few of my favorites that I can think of off the top of my head.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I'd like to mention Megan's ToS media gallery: http://like-knives.org/tos/
I used to spend so much time on the internet just looking at screenshots. I love how she's gathered so much and then just linked her ToS shrines to one big gallery. *P*
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Thank you Anise and Destinie for recognizing some of my media sections! I have always been inspired to work hard on tributes, but what really helps me is taking breaks in-between writing information pages and working on some small multimedia goodies. Seeing those pages go online also helps me finish my tributes!!

Into the Black (as Lost Heart on my old domain) used to have so many more things but I decided to cut them when I remade the tribute! This included:
- monthly magazines that I created which would be interactive for visitors to play games on them and read news about my tribute, as well as fake news from Axel (in relationship with Roxas or Sora or whomever!)
- Hentai Free signs (back when I was a baby and thought those were cool to have on my stuff)