Help Me Name My Shrine!

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: A Nintendo fan site needs a name!

Post by Destinie »

Is there a specific theme you are looking for in the name? That might help to brainstorm some ideas!

Playing off a few words in your current title, here are some other words you could use for "favorite": cherished, beloved, treasured

And past-time: hobby, fun

For me, I think that the Nintendo company really pioneered video games and was revolutionary and constantly strives to be innovative (as much of a buzzword that is!). I think something like "Innovation" would work.

I'll post more later if I have more ideas! :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ooo how about "Treasured Time" (or "Treasured Tech"), or something else alliterative?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Ooh Robin, I really like "Treasured Time". Alliteration is fun!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

jaysurge wrote:Robin, you're a genius! I like that "Treasured Time." You'll be credited when I get the site up. Thank you.
Awesome!! Glad I could help! :D
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Help Me Name My Shrine!

Post by dubiousdisc »

I'm writing a shrine about Spenser from Pokemon Ranger and I've been absolutely stumped on what I should title it.

His characterization revolves around the fact that, although he presents himself as friendly, positive, and cheerful, he's grown cynical and somewhat resentful of his duties, having risen to a position where he's respected but ultimately powerless, and not being able to see what good does his job bring to the world anymore. He reacts to that with a particular brand of bitter sarcasm said with a smile. His story arc revolves around the main character's naive idealism reminding him of what it was like when he first started, and helping him go back to all the good he used to see in his job.

Also, since this is a character I like, he's related to birds - his partner Pokemon is a Fearow, and also all of his names in all languages have something to do with the wind or with spring or both.

I had one idea (hidden so that I don't immediately skew you towards what I was thinking - it might not necessarily be the direction where I want to go):
Show/HideSPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I was thinking to have the title be something involving the concept of unburdening since it's both about his character and flying, but I'm not sure if it has the right connotation. It's not like when you first meet him he's burdened, rather... more like hardened. But that too has the wrong connotation - for hardened I imagine someone with a face like :| and in this case it's someone who's like :) haha I hate my life
Any thoughts?
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubiousdisc that's a lot to try to fit in a title but I'mma try!

First word I thought of was "Jaded," but I don't know whether that would carry quite ALL the meaning you're looking for (esp. the bird connection). Another title that popped up would be something along the lines of "Wounded Wings" or "Broken Wings," but again, not sure if that encapsulates the complete idea of his character. (Though "Broken Wings" is a great song <3 xD)

Alternatively, you could blend those two ideas together into, say, "Jaded Wings," "Jaded Feathers," something like that. xD (I also toyed around with a reference to Icarus mythology but I don't really think that works either...lol silly brain)

OMG I just ran across another interesting word--"cagey" (evasive, reticent, cautious, wary, or shrewd)...that could potentially work as well, since it's listed as a distant synonym to "cynical." He's kind of like a caged bird, maybe? It would certainly roll up the bird symbology and some cynicism into one word...don't know if it would quite fit though...

LOL this is super scattershot, sorry, but I hope this spray of ideas helps!!
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

@Robin These are excellent ideas. :D I hadn't thought of "cage" and related words at all. Hmm...

What I'm seeing with your ideas is that the title will need to be a longer phrase, since all of these words used straight end up being too... emo. XD I think I'll need to mix these ideas around to bring in the aspect that this is someone who's got a lot on his mind and a lot of trouble all around, but for the most part keeps it hidden under a layer of professionalism and niceness.

But I think this brings me in the right direction, thank you so much!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubiousdisc You're welcome! LOL yeah I kept thinking "wow why am I having like mid-2000s alternative music flashbacks with all these names xD"
withinmyworld.org
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Looking for help on a title for my tribute to Rokurou Rangetsu from Tales of Berseria!! Any help would be great!! :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Megan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 pm Looking for help on a title for my tribute to Rokurou Rangetsu from Tales of Berseria!! Any help would be great!! :D
Hmm...I know absolutely nothing about the character myself, so I will try to help you brainstorm. Here are some ideas:

- Summarize this character and their development in a sentence?
- What words come to mind most readily when you think of this character?
- Are there any standout quotes this character uses in-game?
- How would other characters in the game describe this one?
withinmyworld.org