Retro Shrine Features

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: Retro Shrine Features

Post by nyxmidnight »

Do it do it do it.

I've been thinking about a Megaten-themed clique, myself...
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I JUST MIGHT.

I'd be worried that people wouldn't want to submit their sites for awards, though? Would anyone want to do that? I was thinking about having a combo of picking sites and then giving awards to people that submit. Man, I used to love awards! I remember one (really lame) site I had back in the day I had pages of awards I would get from other people's sites. You know, the free handout awards? Hahaha.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Destinie wrote:I'd be worried that people wouldn't want to submit their sites for awards, though? Would anyone want to do that? I was thinking about having a combo of picking sites and then giving awards to people that submit. Man, I used to love awards! I remember one (really lame) site I had back in the day I had pages of awards I would get from other people's sites. You know, the free handout awards? Hahaha.
I think that Amassment is the only place that actually hands out awards these days so if you wanted to create an awards site, I think that'd be cool! It's not like it's over-saturated or anything. :3 And I also would maybe just choose yourself. People could submit if they wanted to, but if it's an award based on your preferences, it's better to hand them out where necessary. xD

I think it's just important to base the award off of something specific. Not just "I like this site," but make sure your award site lists various qualifications that you deem important, and why each site was awarded. Then it becomes more meaningful.

I like Amassment's Shrine Spotlight award because it's voted in by the members, so it's not just one person choosing it but a whole group. I think it gives the award more weight, but I also think if I received a really well-thought out personal award from an individual, I would be just as happy. <3
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

wolfrun wrote:Heavy vs Light Layout Options - Often, people wanted to have graphic heavy layouts but because there was still a transition from dial-up to broadband internet, they wanted to make sure that their site was accessible to people with slower net connections. So they would have a splash page that offered a choice of graphics heavy or graphics light layouts. I think because most people are on broadband or better, this isn't really a necessary option anymore so newer sites haven't used this in a long time. xD
I actually have a website up with a heavy and light version layout! I adopted the Shaman King fanlisting from a friend of mine, and she allowed me to use her layout, which she made yeaaaaaars ago, so it still has one version for 800x600 resolutions and the other for 1024x768, haha. XD (I still haven't gotten around to make my own layout for it bc I really like it.........)

Also omg Pocket Bishounen....... I think 3/4th of the ones I had were characters I only knew by name so I'd try out all the options until I "caught" them LOLOLOL.

I also used to make a lot of wallpapers for myself (when I had the 1024x768 resolution) and sized them down to 800x600 in case I'd ever start a graphics site, lmao.
neo

Post by neo »

@Destinie I miss those award sites, too! They were everywhere and it felt nice to be rewarded for your work. I know you could apply for specific rewards, but I remember some that would award you the one they felt best suited to your site. [edit]: I forgot to mention that I would love to see another one pop up from you ! :inlove:

I think it was that small recognition gave us even more pride in our sites. :heart:

@Elysa I must confess, I collected characters that way, too. There were some series that weren't widely available to watch or read, but possible to learn about via shrines and fansites. I NEEDED DEM WEIß FLORISTS, OKAY?!

@wolfrun I have been considering adding an array of 200x200 icons to a site I am working on, mostly since 100x100 looks like absolute poop on my twitter >>"
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

wolfrun wrote:Do you have an ancient site, so old that it's practically a fossil? Does it have totally RETRO things on it, such as:

- A FAQ where the questions aren't frequently asked AT ALL
- Image Policies
- Hilariously snobby "About Site" sections
- A section dedicated entirely to outdated awards and webrings
- WINAMP SKINS
- Or other sections that are totally dated

Tell us here! :D I know I have a few sites where I have FAQ that don't pertain to the character I'm shrining at all... the questions had never even been asked before. xD I just didn't wanna deal with future emails, lol! I also have some absolutely ridiculous "about the site" sections that aren't so much about the history of my shrine but are more... insane ramblings. xD AND WINAMP SKINS. LOL.
Oh my gosh, yes! None of those sites are active now, but I was all about the FAQ full of things I'd never actually been asked. And 600x400 wallpapers, AIM icons, LiveJournal mood themes (I'm actually making one of those currently, sadly enough), quizzes (which member of Color Me Badd are you? Ha ha ha ha).

ETA: Yes, I really miss award sites and "site of the month" things and being listed on things like the "Elite Fan Pages" directory. Those things always made me feel so happy. ;)

And oh! Making a layout with tables. Remember that? ha ha. Gooood times. I still basically make the same type of layouts now, I just use divs instead. ;)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Oh man, I remember those super negative "review" sites from back in the day--my first site got flamed on one of those because I got ranked higher on a topsites list than this person, and she and her friends started bullying me via the guestbook and all this crazy stuff before starting up a negative reviews site just to hate on me and my site. much ugh.

I am sooooo glad that most of that is gone from the shrine making community ('course, now people probably take it to social media or something). That's one retro shrine feature that doesn't need to come back--it's like the shag carpet of shrining. Lol
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Robin wrote:Oh man, I remember those super negative "review" sites from back in the day--my first site got flamed on one of those because I got ranked higher on a topsites list than this person, and she and her friends started bullying me via the guestbook and all this crazy stuff before starting up a negative reviews site just to hate on me and my site. much ugh.

I am sooooo glad that most of that is gone from the shrine making community ('course, now people probably take it to social media or something). That's one retro shrine feature that doesn't need to come back--it's like the shag carpet of shrining. Lol
I think if it was done properly, it could be a really good way to help people improve things if they were wanting constructive criticism... but I'd still be weary of people who don't actually know how to design or program, trying to tell people how to design or program. It's almost like the people involved would have to post credentials to prove that they actually know what they're talking about before becoming a reviewer.

Most of those sites were fairly cruel though... and are a perfect example of what I just described: people who don't know anything (or very little), telling people what to do. It was just an excuse to act powerful for a lot of them, I think. I'm also pretty glad they don't exist anymore. XD;