Writing content

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Crystal

Writing content

Post by Crystal »

Okay, so I didn't find something like this already and it is something that has crossed my mind so I thought I'd ask this here.

"When writing up content for a shrine do you work on one page at a time or do you work on more than one at once?"

I'm not sure if that made sense at all, but basically when I'm working on a shrine I find I'm all over the place. I'll be working on one page one minute and then another the next. Mostly it's just because I like to wing my content and don't like taking notes so when I'm stuck on something I'll work on another page until something comes to me. However, when I'm on a roll with an idea I will work on that one page until I'm finished it.

So, yeah. How about you guys?
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Writing content

Post by dubiousdisc »

I do the exact same thing! Unless it's something where I need to be writing in a sequence, in which case all I can do is take notes of the things I want to discuss for later and work my way through it.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I make an outline on paper first (if not in Microsoft Word) and then start adding what I want to say in terms on content for the shrine in Microsoft Word. ^^; It's a bit weird but I also do it for spell checking and for me to be expressive without no coding and/or graphics crossing my mind.

I also take notes as well when I'm watching stuff with Word sitting there open for me to write down whatever.

I feel like I prepare my content this way because it helps me actually write what I want and I can do pack and spot errors or things I want to change.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I make what I call an "evolving outline." It has everything I would like to discuss on the shrine outlined. I then write each page individually. A lot of times while writing, I'll think of something else that needs discussing in its own section, so I'll add it to my outline, and other times I'll cover a section in another section and to not be repetitive, I'll remove it from my outline. That's what makes it "evolving."
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Dubs: Makes sense. I've had a few things I've had to do that with too. Not many though lol.

@Amber: Nothing wrong with that! I think it sounds great and a better idea for catching typos and such. I'll take my content and put it into Open Office for a spellcheck once I'm done writing it, but I always seem to be missing something which I'll catch years later. *cough*

@Todd: Sounds like a good idea! Sometimes I'm writing something and will think "this could use it's own page" and then do that. It's nothing like what you do though. I just have a problem of feeling like I'm repeating myself sometimes but it feels like it still works for me.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I used to write all my content under page name headings in a single Microsoft Word document, and when I was done writing, rewriting, etc., then I would copy-n-paste each section with its heading into separate HTML/PHP files. Insert mad HTML formatting, and then boom, a site! :D

This works for me in several ways:
- stores all the content in one place
- better able to catch typos
- can easily read content aloud to check for weird sentence structure <--English major trick
- can easily check to see if I'm repeating myself on content
- drafting, rewriting, and reviewing are MUCH easier

...TBH, I should probably go back to this system, seeing as how these days I'm typing directly into the PHP files and finding myself getting visually boggled with all the code in my face...LOL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I usually take notes while reading or watching a series if i know I have interest in a certain character or subject - but I like to finish one page at a time. I don't go in a particular order though!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Megan wrote:I usually take notes while reading or watching a series if i know I have interest in a certain character or subject - but I like to finish one page at a time. I don't go in a particular order though!
I bounce around, too, haha.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: I do something kinda like that too except for it's in a .html document so I have all the coding to deal with too. Kinda messes me up a bit when I put it though spell check. How you do it though sounds nifty!

@Megan: I should probably do that too. I'm always forgetting things I find I want to add, which I end up adding later lol. I also bounce around too. Sometimes I have more inspiration for one section than another.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

All my shrines start as a one pager with one long list of headers. I'm used to not making plans or outlines before starting to write, so headers are enough for me and they help me organize my typography right off the bat. I write the whole content next (not necessarily in order but I try to) and if the page ends up long enough I then separate it into smaller pages for the final product. But I write all my shrines as one long page first. That way I have a global overview of what I'm doing.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone