Writing content

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: Writing content

Post by Destinie »

I usually start by having several ideas in mind and then I form an outline. And then I refine the outline to a point where I believe it makes sense. Then I have several sections with my headers and content.

Now how I write the actual content is really based on my mood or level of inspiration. Sometimes I can write one section at a time going in order through the site. On other occasions I may write half an essay here, jot some notes in other section, and then be working on an essay that I really want to do without any particular order.

I will also color-code the headers to my sections to allow me to see, at a glance, which essays I have finished and which ones I have not. So I think in one script I have a bunch of headers that are red and unfinished. (That would be my Saint Tail site..haaaaa)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I generally write the plot related information sections first, as they inspire me to talk about the character development in the other sections as I recall the events. I also write sections related to technical things, such as the setting or any particularities related to the world and its inhabitants, then there's the character focused sections and lastly sections with opinions, comparisons and additional stuff that doesn't fit into the other categories.
Saya

Post by Saya »

Normaly I make a DOC with the titles of all the pages, and then I search for information and start with one section. So i work on one page, but if in the middle of the information i see stuff for another page, i just note it under the title of that one, and go back to the first one :)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Nyx: I do something similar. I'll write an entire section out on one page and then break it down into separate pages when I'm finished. Seems easier than keeping a bunch of random pages.

@Destinie: That sounds nifty! Because I'm all over the place I sometimes I have a hard time telling what pages are finished and what aren't. I tried using asterisks but I don't like it lol.

@Saya: Nice! :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

I go one at a time in order of the sections that is on the navigation.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I usually do the opposite of what most of you do: I still write one section at a time but usually I write them directly on the php files without going through any word editor first, since I like to upload them and see how the whole page is progressing. It prompts me to write more.
Only when I finished to write everything, I copy-paste all the section on LibreOffice, proof read them, and then copy-paste them back again.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@dragoneyes: I do something like that too except for I'll do it in html first because I do all my site work offline and then convert it to php when I'm all done.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@dragoneyes I used to write everything directly in notepad and upload websites that way. ;>

But when I would re-read my sites I would always catch typos and weird grammar issues, so I made myself switch. XD I am also just addicted to googleDocs because I can be anywhere and when I have a new idea I can easily just open the site and jot down notes pretty quickly!
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Google Docs/Drive ftw <3

What I do now, since I used Brackets instead of Dreamweaver since DW lags me like crazy and I'm not paying for CC dangit), I installed the spellcheck plugin. It doesn't have an "add to dictionary" feature but it sure beats the laggy DW. I still have the habit though of re-reading what I typed up to see if it flows comfortably and find any errors. I even get some friends to comb through it if I feel something is lacking.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Destinie: That's a problem I'm noticing too. I'm always catching typos and grammar errors years later on my sites after I was 100% positive I got them all the first time around.