Shrine Mega-Expansion

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Robin
Events Staffer

Shrine Mega-Expansion

Post by Robin »

As I looked over and reviewed all the (amazing) choices for video game shrine nominations in the Amassment directory, I realized something:

My video game shrines...kinda suck.

Not saying I didn't put time into them or that I don't like what I have--it's just that they feel skimpier than a string bikini when it comes to content. They feel unfinished, somehow. And, worst of all, they don't have a whole lot of ME in there, either. Somehow, my deep love for each profiled game didn't come through that great. :/ (Does anyone else pick up on this, or is it just me?)

So, probably starting in 2015, I'm going to expand on each one of my one-page video game shrines and make them all into "proper" sites, adding essays, character studies, and better links sections. I want to have a shrine worth nominating in the Video Game category, and right now, I'd be durn SURPRISED if anybody nominated my crap. LOLOL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Shrine Mega-Expansion

Post by dubiousdisc »

If you feel like you could make them be more than what they are, then GO FOR IT! Personally I don't see anything wrong with them at the size they're now, I thought you liked them like that, but if you actually aren't pleased with your work, then REVAMP TIME!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Just personally speaking but I think that you should consider expanding your sites when it is a benefit to *you* or something that you feel like you want to personally expand on. I only say this because if you aren't personally motivated to do it for *yourself* then it really becomes a chore to get it done. Everyone has their own personal style to how they make their sites.

I will be honest that in the past I have made sites with the idea in mind that someone would nominate it for some award somewhere along the lines. But after a while I stopped aiming for that and just focused on what I wanted to do, (Which was to expand them and be more theoretical and analytical, rather than just tons of regurgitated information from wikis) and from there I found that my sites were much more interesting.

TL;DR - I agree with DD up there. ^^
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Dubs and @Destinie: I did like my one-pagers when I first made them, but over the last couple of months I've started feeling like I ought to be doing something more with them. Then with the recent Shrine Spotlight, I looked at my one-pager sites differently--I started thinking, "y'know, if I hadn't made these sites, would I nominate them for any award?"

That got me thinking less like the creator and more like the visitor...which made the flaws in my sites much more apparent. I could see how hurried the content was, for instance (because I was trying to get out of a webdesign flump* and wanted to have SOMETHING produced in 2013, dangit). So I guess you could say these sites are rough diamonds--they are good as they are, but definitely could use some polishing. ^_^

Basically what I have discovered is that I have a realllllly hard time making a site just be one page. I wanna write too much for that xD

*Webdesign flump: Coagulation of the words "flop" and "slump", meaning "horribly lazy time in which absolutely nothing gets done, and I feel worse and worse about nothing getting done so I just flop around like a Magikarp waiting for inspiration"
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Like it was already mentioned, you should do whatever you enjoy. No pressure, let motivation come naturally and if you keep a site as is or expand it, let it be because it's what you truly want.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Mikari: YUP! These are all sites I've wanted to do for a long time (or, in the case of Super Smash Brothers: Melee, have already done but took down a long time ago).

Part of the inspiration is that I've been watching other folks' playthroughs of Super Mario RPG, and remembering all the COOL STUFF I didn't write about on my one-page shrine. LOL
withinmyworld.org
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I feel that way with my Jack Skellington one-paged site as well. I found a lot of my old information and things from when I had a shrine on my old domain, and it made me want to expand it... however, my motivation is low D: Maybe after I re-watch the movie in the upcoming few weeks I will change my mind!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Destinie YEP! A rewatch/replay/reread always reminds me of more things I want to write about ^o^;
withinmyworld.org