Website Maintenance

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Re: Website Maintenance

Post by Todd »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:@Todd : Hm...so you're looking for something less permanent than an "archive" status, but less updated than a "hiatus"? Maybe these completed sites could become part of a "showcase" of sorts?
No, I was just saying if a site is complete and I have no intention of touching it again, I'll just link it as a completed site without ever putting an "archive" notice on the site. If it's complete, it's enjoyable and can be visited anytime. I'd only freeze or archive a site if I wasn't proud of it and it needed work I didn't want to ever do.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Todd: Oh. Yeah, that works, too :)

As another point to add to the "website maintenance topic": I think mental organization has a lot to do with how we choose to update and maintain our sites. I lead a mentally cluttered life, and thus I need a LOT of reminders to finish something--if I don't put stuff on a schedule, it will literally never get done. But if a website owner is super-organized (aka, not me at all), they might not have to put alarms on their phone and computer and post-it notes to remind them to work on sites ^_^;
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: I have that problem too. I made something like this to remind me of everything I'd like to do. I need to update that list though because some things have changed. I gotta remind myself to update a list to remind myself about things. Oh boy.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

When I do website maintenance it tends to be spontaneous, so I don't have a schedule. If I am looking at one of my sites and notice a grammatical error or typo, then I will usually fix it on the spot because knowing it is there and people are seeing it is embarrassing. :swt2: Other times I will just do stuff like clean out links when I think of it. (I just did this a week or two ago with some of my fanlistings.)

So, I don't really plan it. I just tend to do it when I think of it or if I really feel the need to at the time.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Sarah wrote:If I am looking at one of my sites and notice a grammatical error or typo, then I will usually fix it on the spot because knowing it is there and people are seeing it is embarrassing.
I do this too. Then I wonder how on Earth I completely missed this because I'm usually pretty good at catching them. x_x;
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal and @Sarah: Thirded on "immediate typo fixing." OCD won't let me leave it once I've found it, LOL

Also, Crystal, you have an amazing project list...

*quietly pushes aside own to-do list with like 4 things on it*
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Haha thanks Robin! I need to go through it and do some updates because I've changed my mind on a few things.

Hey nothing wrong with only having a few things on a to-do list! Anything is good!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

:D Yup! Now if I could just get up the energy to actually, I dunno, DO the stuff on the to-do list...LOLOLOL
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Haha I hear you! I'm mostly saving up and waiting for the new year before doing anything on my list but some of the stuff I'm itching to do now. I have other stuff I need to do in this year yet!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: YAY! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :D :D

Also, on a general note, has anybody ever used an online list-making tool (like Remember the Milk or Listography) to keep your website to-do lists on?
withinmyworld.org