New Ideas/Inspiration?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mikari

Re: New Ideas/Inspiration?

Post by Mikari »

Presentation does have a big influence. It's hard to describe, but after seeing a few sites by someone you start to recognize their style which is different from other people's style, even if the subjects are similar.

(PS: @Crystal: I think your sites are awesome)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Makes sense Mikari. I can look at a site and easily tell who made it. Todd's sites come to mind when I think about it.

Aww, thanks Mikari! :D
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Really Crystal, I'm sorry that you took it that way, but as you said - if that page helps you say things that you haven't said anywhere else and wouldn't know where to put them, then that page automatically has a purpose, no? I'm mostly talking about...not thinking that it's something you can just paste wherever. It needs to have a point!

And yeah, Mikari, I absolutely agree! It's the little things we don't even notice about ourselves because of being our own point of reference, but other people will definitely notice the ways in which everything you make is "you" :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I was digging around in my brain for reasons why I choose the "why [subject]?" page format, and I think it's because I want my shrines to be a good factual/info-based introduction to the shrined subject, as well as being a haven for my headcanons and personal opinions. To that end, I want to make it immediately clear to the viewer what parts of the site are "fact-based" and what parts are "opinion-based," and so I split the facts/info and opinions into separate pages/sections.

I guess it's kinda like me keeping my salty foods from touching my sweet foods on the same plate. JELLY BISCUITS MUST NOT TOUCH GRITS! LOL

<--might be sliiiiiiightly OCD, why do you ask? xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

It's okay Dubs, really. xD I likely overreacted so I apologize for it. I would say it does and no I do understand what you mean. If there's no purpose to the page or you can't really make it fit in with the rest of the site there isn't really much point in having it there. Anyone can have a thoughts page but I think if it follows the usually generic thing then it isn't really all that interesting. If there is a story on how you came to like the subject I think it makes it a lot more interesting and I'd actually want to read it.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Todd wrote:
I have to agree with dubs here. I've seen these "Appeal" or "Why?" pages on shrine after shrine. I've stopped including them on my own sites. Rather than put all your opinions and thoughts about the character on this one page, why not spread them out across the entire shrine?
Just seconding this. I have this page on a few of my older sites but since stopped including them. Sometimes I will write a blurb on the main page but, Todd, you really hit the nail on the head here. The site is really all about telling the visitor WHY you like the subject so much and so sometimes when you get to the page it's like "Well what do I write about?".