Sites and Memories

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Sites and Memories

Post by Robin »

dubiousdisc wrote:
Destinie wrote: Also I have this memory of when I tried to share my Giovanni shrine on a Pokemon fandom livejournal and I had someone who wanted to challenge my opinions on it and basically say that my opinions were wrong. (??)
That person was obviously an undercover member of Team Rocket trying to disguise their plans :P
Most definitely. They wanted to get rid of any bad publicity xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I don't remember ever getting any bad remarks on any of my sites. If I did I've completely forgotten. As long as I'm happy with it that's the big thing I think. No point in keeping something you don't like.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal I remember my first flame attack, back on my very first site. I still have no idea what triggered all the hate, but about 5 people ganged up on my guestbook and posted hundreds of messages saying that I ought to kill myself, that I was horrible, and they would find out where I lived, etc., etc.

It wasn't the last flame attack on that site, either, but it was easily the worst. Probably just a bunch of trolls looking for an easy laugh, but unfortunately I likely gave them the best laugh ever because I was noob at interwebs and thought they were serious.

(Side note: I haaaaate internet trolls. They're like school bullies but you can't get away from them. >_<)
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I never got any flames. People generally adored my first site, except those who pointed out my terrible grammar, but they weren't particularly aggressive about it. Back then spell checkers weren't part of the default software on all computers, so my first one didn't have it installed. Oh man, that was so long ago. But truthfully, my first site was horrendously ugly and terribly done with a different background on each page, mostly tiled faded anime pictures. Why did people like that... that... thing! None the less, I still have good memories from it and I laugh when I look back on it.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: Some people are horrible like that. I'm sorry that happened to you. :(

@Mikari: I remember doing something like that. xD
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: Yeah, it screwed me up pretty bad for a little while, especially since I'd been bullied at school for a long time. But after the flame attack was over I just started doing what I wanted to do on my site, and I made sure to delete the flame-y comments when they came the next time. Over time I met a LOT of neat designers and made a lot of friends, so the flame attacks hurt less and less. Now I can spot a troll a mile away! (Could I put that on a resume? 'Cause it's a necessary skill these days, lolol)

One of the best site memories I have doesn't really have to do with a particular site, but just the community of Yu-Gi-Oh! webdesigners that I was part of back in the mid-2000s. We learned from each other, swapped emails and AIM screennames, helped each other with code and image design trickery...it was a lot like Amassment, except we didn't have an official forum. ^_^
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: Aww, well I'm glad. You shouldn't let those few people bother you. I could do well to learn that myself but I'm working on it! And yes! That should totally be a skill on a resume! I still have a hard time telling when someone is being serious or telling a joke. D:

That's awesome. :D I had a little bit of that in the Legend of Zelda community back in early 2000 but then I left after some drama involving a friend and then the passing of a very dear friend. It's kinda funny though because someone I knew from back then recently got in touch with me because he recognized my style after stumbling across my website. I never thought I had an easily distinguishable style. I figured it would be totally different after this much time but apparently not.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: YAY for reconnecting with old friends/acquaintances! :D :D (Having a "style" is awesome, btw...means your sites stand out :D)
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Yugioh! The team site with Snow and Cherri, the one with the bright green background where we fangirled Seto, Yami & Bakura! XD good times.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Mikari: Oh SNAP I probably visited your site back in the day and never knew! What was it called? :)
withinmyworld.org