Multiple Shrines to Same Series

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Saya

Re: Multiple Shrines to Same Series

Post by Saya »

Have you, or would you ever make more than one site for a series? If you have, or would, how do you keep from being repetitive with your content? How do you handle things like links pages that would have identical sets of links?

First of all I have by Owning two pokemon shrines - charizard and zoroark; two xxxholic related shrine: yuuko and mugetsu - and probably back soon doumeki and watanuki; then also Oscar and André (this one is specific). For one I try to put different things in it, so it doesn't actually overload.

A specific thing was André's one paged shrine, that was created because I wanted to talk a little more about him, that I could in the relationship part of Oscar's shrine. So I made a small tribute to him that way.

xxxholic is a problem simply because it's my favorite series ever, and probably the best idea would be make i don't know like a shrine to the series and the other shrines be sub parts of it.... to not repeat myself all over again.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Bumping this to bring up a new topic I've been thinking about: collectives. How many sites do you plan for before you make a collective for the subject? Do you like to link just the collective from your main collective/domain, or link the individual sites within?

I have Breathe Drew, my Drew Barrymore collective of sorts. I used to just link Breathe Drew, which in turn links Wings and Scary Movie, but I recently decided to link Wings and Scary Movie from Nightbringer.net, because I worked hard on them and don't want them to be overlooked. I still like Breathe Drew and plan to keep it around, though.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

At the moment I'm planning a collective. It's not to subjects from the same series, but the same company. Anyway, I think at least two is enough for a collective. That's how many I will have for sure, but I can see myself making more in the future.

I would link to the individual sites on my domain. One, I feel that even though they are part of a sub-collective, they're still a part of my main collective (domain) too, and they deserve the same amount of exposure and attention. Two, it would just feel weird to leave them out. Hehe. And third, it's less work for visitors to get to them that way.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Back in the day I had 3 separate Yu-Gi-Oh! shrines--a general show info shrine, a shrine to my favorite YGO character, and a shrine to my favorite YGO pairing. I didn't have much problem with "same-y" links/content, though...I think it was because each shrine was so focused on a particular content area. If I had it to do over again (and I might someday), I might do a collective and then link off to separate sites from there.

I kinda did the "mini-collective" thing with my Brit-TV shows fansite and my videogames fansite--I had started out trying to build separate shrines for each of them and just got TIRED. LOL! Thus, I decided to make one big site with each game or TV show having its own separate "one-page shrine". :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I have a couple of sub-collectives on my domain right now - one for FF7 sites and one for Pokemon sites. I also have bloodgulch.org for RvB sites. I didn't actually plan on getting a domain for the last one, but after 4 sites it was a mess keeping everything under a subdomain...!

For my FF7 collective, I keep all my links on the collective, but right now I have links sections on my individual Pokemon sites. That might change when I make more, but for now it works. (I also only have one current FF7 site, since the other one is under construction, so it's easy to maintain.)

Where I've run into trouble is the RvB collective. Each site has an intro section explaining what the show is, and by the time I had 4 sites I was so tired of updating it. So I finally gave up and just make an include file for it. Unfortunately I'll still have to update the Spanish version, but I'd rather update 2 pages than 4. There aren't any other RvB fansites, though, so at least it's easy to keep up with the links sections.

My other issue is a spoiler for RvB, so I'll spoilertag it. Go watch the show.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Technically, I have two sites for the same character...! My Church site is outdated, but I'm honestly not sure how much to cover about the Director when I revamp it, given I have an entire site for him. I still want to run both sites, but there's a lot of overlap when they're instances of the same goddamn character.
tonight fate is the
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Have you, or would you ever make more than one site for a series?

Have I? Oh yes. Haha. I have 3 big sites to 3 different KH characters, and then I have two other minor sites as well. I also have a Galaxy Angel site and I am planning on making a site to a character and a main relationship. I have a Tokyo Mew Mew Site and a site to one of the characters as well.

If you have, or would, how do you keep from being repetitive with your content?

I don't think my content is repetitive at all, actually. Maybe a general page if I have them to describe the series, but I usually don't put things like that on my sites. I try to have my content individualized. Even on a simple profile page, I change it up and have lots of different things. I do have similar "content" I guess in the sense that I answer similar questions, but each character or topic I make a site to is different! I still enjoy myself making multiple sites to a series. I feel like if you love more than one character, why not?

How do you handle things like links pages that would have identical sets of links?

I have similar links, yes. But I don't think that is a problem. I would rather have all the links to all the sites out there on my sites because I want that series to flourish and have people enjoy all sites related to it!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I have two collectives right now (one for fanlistings and one for Pokemon sites). I'm debating making a collective for my Fire Emblem shrines as I have quite a few and at least another one planned. Maybe even a Legend of Zelda one as I have three online and another on upcoming. I haven't decided yet though. I just kinda like how everything is right now.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think 3+ shrines/sites are good enough for a collective. xD
I love themed collectives...