Multiple Shrines to Same Series

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Juhi

Re: Multiple Shrines to Same Series

Post by Juhi »

I've made fansites for multiple characters in the same series in the past. Even though I've downsized, I still have two fansites for the same fandom (FSN). I like to aggregate such projects into a subdomain of sorts, since it satisfies the control-freak within me haha. I also don't mind seeing others have many sites for one series, especially if the series is obscure and lacks high-quality pages.

I find it easy to get redundant when you have multiple sites on a single fandom. For instance, I tend to copypasta series summaries and common events sort of information. There is really only so many ways it can get reworded without sounding stupid. It's one thing to say "Oh, the visitor can just go to my other site to find it" but that's also taking things for granted.

In the future, I plan to have the "common" info on the subdomain itself and leave the fansites with character-specific data. It seems like it would be a good solution to that problem.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I'm guilty of actively avoiding making sites to the same fandoms. The only case where it happened was two Guilty Gear sites, and one of them I dropped a while ago. (Honestly, I like Bridget, but I mainly did the Bridget fansite as an experiment to my first fansite, rather than something I actively cared for.)

Call me OCD, but like Aku stated, I like to have variety with my sites. It's not so much that I want them to feel unique, but I just like to have some sort of flow with it. I like to have an even number of gendered characters, a variety of long-short title names, different layout schemes, etc. Different fandoms is just another of those invisible "rules" I keep to myself for reasons unknown.

I guess the other things is that I tend to really like one character the most that I would waste time making a site for, but not so much for others. And I like to show my dedication to various works, not just one or two. Not that I would judge others for doing it though, obviously.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I don't actively avoid making sites to the same fandom, but by the time I finish a site I tend to feel as if I've said all I can say about the series in question, not just the character. It just feels natural to move onto a new focus, I guess. Meh :swt2:
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

dubiousdisc wrote:I guess a lot of us are big on overthinking...XD
Guilty..... ^^;
Aa-chan

Post by Aa-chan »

Have you, or would you ever make more than one site for a series? If you have, or would, how do you keep from being repetitive with your content? How do you handle things like links pages that would have identical sets of links?
Ugh, guilty, as you guys know already. ^^; I have the Edward/Anna and Palom and Porom shrines, plus I'm in the process of making one to Edge/Rydia (despite there being a fanlisting for them already, I know), all from Final Fantasy IV.

I try my hardest not to be repetitive. :/ Since they're relationship pages, a lot of the content is the same (ie: interactions with other characters, profiles, etc). The only thing I take comfort in is the relationships are different (ie: Edward and Anna's is romantic/tragic, Palom and Porom's is sibling-bond). Dunno if that makes sense...
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Destinie wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:I guess a lot of us are big on overthinking...XD
Guilty..... ^^;
Me to! Hence why my Caskett shrine still isn't finished. >.>;
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I'm going to do it! Replaying FFX now to shrine Seymour Guado. :P
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Todd wrote:I'm going to do it! Replaying FFX now to shrine Seymour Guado. :P
wow that's awesome :D another shrine to look forward to. ^_^
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Have you, or would you ever make more than one site for a series?
My initial thought was, NO. I would never do that because it becomes tedious to sort information. At least for me, I get the idea that I would just be stating the same things over and over and over. And then, my brain started moving this morning. Oh. wait. I did this. Stupid Dragon and Silver Dragon are both Yakuza sites. The difference being Stupid Dragon is Yakuza 2/Dead Souls specific while Silver Dragon is an all encompassing focus on Kazuma.

If you have, or would, how do you keep from being repetitive with your content?
I hadn't thought about it. Actually, what happened is I made a one page shrine for my favorite character, Goda Ryuji. As the antagonist he had less information to cover but I wanted to give him something. It wasn't until Dead Souls came out that I actually expanded the shrine. As for Silver Dragon, the information is different because I focus on the monomyth. I think the key difference here is that one site is protagonist while the other is antagonist so I get a better balance on the sites. Rather, I find it much easier to work on differing factions because you have to look at both perspectives. Which I find is more difficult if you sit in one camp (aka Cloud, Tifa, Yuffie, you get the idea). I feel like I'm able to present information for Goda better because I know the kind of man he's trying to live up too; it's much easier to contrast. It's more fun for me too. I think that if one is going to do the same series it's easier to do opposing sides because you get to really dig into a side of it that you may not had afforded yourself before.

How do you handle things like links pages that would have identical sets of links?
Ahaha, I admit, I basically just have the same links. One, it's easy. Two, I'm not necessarily lazy but I'm not very social about getting my sites out there either. However, if I were, I would mostly likely end up with similar links pages because of sorting issues.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

Have you, or would you ever make more than one site for a series?
I haven't, but I don't think I would be against it, if I liked the subjects enough.

If you have, or would, how do you keep from being repetitive with your content?
Hmmm I haven't really given this a lot of thought, but I think I would probably either paraphrase sections that are similar or, if I'm having a lot of trouble paraphrasing, just use the same content. Of course, if I ever do get to make multiple sites to the same series, I might go another way about it XD;;

How do you handle things like links pages that would have identical sets of links?
I'd just use the same links. I would rather people see, for example, the same links twice than that they'd miss out on great sites because they've only visited one site of mine that had a selected number of links x3