What actually "counts" as a shrine?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: What actually "counts" as a shrine?

Post by Destinie »

Or "Shrining any way, every day" LOL
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Destinie wrote:Or "Shrining any way, every day" LOL
YES! Awesome!

*cue LMFAO's "Party Rock"* "Every day I'm shrining!"
(doesn't quite have the same ring to it, LOL)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Amber

Post by Amber »

Destinie wrote:I think getting into the community is a bit intimidating at first, especially if you have reservations about your own work. Sometimes you just need to jump in and see how it goes. :) I think with making shrines there is generally no wrong way to do it.
This! I agree so so so much.

Don't take this personally but this question personally but when shrines were made back in 2003..some people still hold shrines up to that standard.

For someone who on more than occasion got her shrines made fun of because they were not a certain way back in 2006, it makes it hard for me to even want to finish them now. I mean when people have a set rule with how shrines are supposed to be, I feel it can make an elitism for those who dare to differ. I'm glad things have changed in eight years to be completely honest (at least for me).
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Amber wrote:
Destinie wrote:I think getting into the community is a bit intimidating at first, especially if you have reservations about your own work. Sometimes you just need to jump in and see how it goes. :) I think with making shrines there is generally no wrong way to do it.
This! I agree so so so much.

Don't take this personally but this question personally but when shrines were made back in 2003..some people still hold shrines up to that standard.

For someone who on more than occasion got her shrines made fun of because they were not a certain way back in 2006, it makes it hard for me to even want to finish them now. I mean when people have a set rule with how shrines are supposed to be, I feel it can make an elitism for those who dare to differ. I'm glad things have changed in eight years to be completely honest (at least for me).
I also had some "flamers" visit my shrines back in the day and post all these horrible trolling comments (I didn't know they were trolls, though--I thought they were sincere visitors who actually hated my site that much). It really sucks when you've worked hard on something and somebody else comes along and just poops all over it. And like you, Amber, I just quit making shrines for a long time because I just didn't need the stress of SOMEBODY ELSE'S opinion on MY work.

Now that I see the shrining community is more relaxed, though, it actually makes me want to remake some old shrines I took offline and start some new ones. ^_^ my Projects page is gonna be sooooo full of future awesomeness, LOL :D
withinmyworld.org
Amber

Post by Amber »

Definitely, I wish I had the strength that I have now that I did a long time ago and just not let the trolls bother me on my sites. I went to make fanlistings because the shrining world was not as relaxed (to me anyways) and I only made one shrine. Now, I'm back and while it is taking me forever on my shrines - I've been working on one for a year and another almost five months - I'm glad to be able to get my stuff back out there eventually.

I just have limited time so I know that when I finish my shrines they will mean more to me now than they would have years ago if I had kept making shrines. I think it is mostly because of the effort I put in now to try and finish a shrine.

My projects page is a bit blank as I've set up a new domain for my shrining projects, however, this means future shrines are in the works too! XD Awesomeness...I love it. LOL
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Amber wrote:Definitely, I wish I had the strength that I have now that I did a long time ago and just not let the trolls bother me on my sites. I went to make fanlistings because the shrining world was not as relaxed (to me anyways) and I only made one shrine. Now, I'm back and while it is taking me forever on my shrines - I've been working on one for a year and another almost five months - I'm glad to be able to get my stuff back out there eventually.

I just have limited time so I know that when I finish my shrines they will mean more to me now than they would have years ago if I had kept making shrines. I think it is mostly because of the effort I put in now to try and finish a shrine.

My projects page is a bit blank as I've set up a new domain for my shrining projects, however, this means future shrines are in the works too! XD Awesomeness...I love it. LOL
Definitely understandable. I'm one of those that likes to have a shrine 100% done before I upload it (#ocdproblems) so I take forever to build shrines, too. It's all good!

(Also, what is your new domain for shrining goodness? :O)
withinmyworld.org