Icons/Avatars Section

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Laura

Icons/Avatars Section

Post by Laura »

Back in the day, it used to be pretty common to feature an icons section on our character shrines. People would create icons for LiveJournal, forums, AIM and all the other programs out there that allowed you to use custom, size-specific graphics to customize your profiles.

With the closure of AIM and the decline in popularity for LiveJournal, it seems like there isn't really a need to create custom icons any longer. Skype and Facebook allow you to put any picture you want for your user avatars, no size required.

So, what are your opinions? Do any of you still design your sites to have an icons section and if so, what sizes would you design your icons to be?

Many shrines seem to be going down the route of being information-only. I'm debating if I want to continue to keep an icons section on my own sites or if it's even worth it. I'd love to hear what your thoughts are! :)

EDIT: Doh! I just noticed that there's a thread like this from last year. XD;; Still, I'd love to hear what sizes people usually design for!
Crystal

Re: Icons/Avatars Section

Post by Crystal »

Closure of AIM? Did I miss something? o_o

Ahem, anyway. Personally I don't really add a section for icons mostly because I don't think I'm any good at making them. All my icons are lame. (except for my Greninja one I'm using. I love that one.) I more prefer to write information about the subject I'm shrining than do any other extra stuff.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

wolfrun wrote:EDIT: Doh! I just noticed that there's a thread like this from last year. XD;; Still, I'd love to hear what sizes people usually design for!
Aw, no problem! We rerun discussions pretty often, believe it or not, and I like that. Not only do we get new members with different views, but shrines/fan sites are constantly evolving, so discussions change. As long as you don't start a discussion about a topic started last week, we're good, haha.

Anyway, echoing Crystal: AIM closed? I'm on AIM a lot! lol

I still have icon sections on some of my sites. Those icons can be used as avatars for this forum and forums like it, so there's still a use. Plus they are just pretty to look at. Something I've been thinking about possibly doing is creating character Twitter icons. A lot of people prefer to use a fandom image on their Twitters instead of a picture of themselves. We could also do Tumblr icons. So basically, I think there are still uses and a demand for icons, just different sizes these days.
Aku

Post by Aku »

For some clarity, I think MSN was the messenger that closed. :) I still use AIM on a daily basis! (Although I can't say I bother with my icon, anyway. XD)

I think the internet has evolved a lot, and we gotta change with the times sadly. It is a lot harder to create icons nowadays because even on Twitter and Tumblr, places that people use frequently, it's easy to simply upload an image and have the icon tool on their site resize it for you. I still remember the days when I made WINAMP SKINS for my shrines! Winamp skins! :sad:

That being said, I don't really have an answer for this, but I agree with what Todd said. There are still places where people use "icons", and I think you could very well take a look at popular avenues (Tumblr, Twitter, forums) and see what sizes people are using to size your icons off of that. :) I don't see anything wrong in having a section that you yourself have fun creating.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Oh... oh my god you guys. LOL I could have SWORN that AIM had shut down completely. Last time I checked (a couple years ago I think), the Windows client seemed to have vanished from their site and they went exclusively in-browser. Everyone I know who used it had stopped using it ages ago and I figured that was the final nail in the coffin. I knew MSN was merged with Skype so I have nooooo idea what I was thinking. I'm seriously laughing here, I can't believe it. XD

I guess that means that I will keep any AIM icons I have on my sites (the ones that don't look horrible and dated at least). :D I'll have to download the newest client and see what standard sizes they're using, if any. I think I also missed the boat on Tumblr having userpics too... so I suppose with those, Twitter and of course forums, seems like there's still a demand. :)
Aku wrote:I don't see anything wrong in having a section that you yourself have fun creating.
Definitely! My question came about because my Haruka/Michiru fan site originally had an icons section on it and I was planning on keeping this feature on the site when I redesigned it. I've been on the fence about whether or not I should keep it because I wasn't sure what sizes are being used these days so I figured I'd open the site without it; I can always add it later and I wanted to just get the site done. ^^;

I'll definitely check out Tumblr and Twitter to see which sizes are commonly used there, I just figured asking here might save me the leg work if anyone already knows. When I do eventually find out, I'll be sure to post my findings here. :)

Also, I think if I start designing wallpapers, having mobile phone backgrounds would be a cool addition. I actually still have some Winamp skins featured on my sites too... XD Talk about a walk down memory lane..
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

There is also Plurk, which is used a lot by roleplayers on Dreamwidth, that allows icons, and of course roleplaying journals need icons too!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
neo

Post by neo »

I have always been such a freak about downloadable content :D I love looking at the free graphics (even if I don't particularly use them.) It's just something extra for the visitor and if there is extras it really makes the special site for me :D.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

I'm on AIM all the time too! My computer is constantly signed on. Sadly, all the webmasters I make friends with don't use it, so I don't have the most extensive buddy list lol.

as for avatars, I like to add them just because it's filler for your website. It's more content for people to gaze at. I have a rule for all my shrines where I have MINIMUM a pre-made layout to download and at least 3-5 avatars. I make them 100x100. I still find a lot of people use them both on forums and just on their personal update blogs on their websites.

So yeah, I agree with neo. :D
<3
~ Lady DinoBug
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I love making icons, so I try to include them on my sites as much as possible. For one thing, that is one of the few forms of media I can make, lol. And I figure, even if LJ is dying out, places like Amassment here still use them. I always make them 100 x 100 pixels, but after reading this topic I wouldn't mind trying to make some other sizes. :) Also I have to echo neo in that I like to see them on other people's sites, even if I don't use them myself.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

@ Aku: Oh my gosh, you made Winamp skins?! I remember Winamp and loved seeing people's skins. Wow, that takes me back! XD

Anyway, I usually include an icons section, because I love making them and so I include them in the shrines so other fans can use them anywhere they want. Like Todd said, there's plenty of places where people need icons. :D