Books: past and future

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Saya

Books: past and future

Post by Saya »

So with the fact we did this in games and animanga!
Lets do this here too yes?

1. What are your favorite books.
2. What genre do you prefer to read.
3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.

-------------

1. Probably my favorite book is and always will be Pride and Prejudice, along with Desiree and let's face it Harry Potter (the first 3 books only)

2. Actually I like fantasy, historical, romantic stuff, and well yeah action. I love classics, but also modern stuff.

3. When I go to the library, it's like this I go to the section with the genres I like and then look at the covers and titles, if there is a cover or title that it catches my attention. then I take the book in the hand and read the summary or whatever is at the back-cover, to see if it catches more attention, if it doesn't I just put it back, if it does, then normally I get the book.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Todd

Re: Books: past and future

Post by Todd »

1. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle, Animorphs series by K.A. Applegate... Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, The Stranger by Albert Camus.

2. Horror.

3. I browse Amazon's, "Customers who bought your selection also bought..." section. If it looks interesting to me and has no reviews, I add it to my wishlist and watch it. When it drops in price, or gets a lot of good reviews, I'll check it out.
Eden

Post by Eden »

- Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard
- Battle Royale by Koushun Takami
- Private series and Privilege series by Kate Brian
- Harry Potter by JK Rowling
- The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
- American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding
- 1984 by George Orwell
and lots more. You can find a lot of my stuff at my goodreads account. :3

- Let's face it. I have a penchant for young adult novels. The majority of what I read are those. But I also do an about-face and read horror, non-fiction (mostly Science, Web Design, Video Games and Atheist stuff), and a lot of classic literature. I like pretty much anything if it entertains me or educates me in some fashion.

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.
- Sometimes I judge a book by its cover. I've picked up a HORRIBLE book that had a beautiful cover and loathed every moment of the book because of how terrible it was written, how boring it was, and all that nonsense. I choose to read books based on my interests and I also look at non-spoiler reviews to see what people think. I almost always read a book if it gets the majority of good reviews. If I see mixed, I'll read it anyway and give my review based on that. If there's a lot of negative feedback, I MAY pick it up and read it but that's rare. I also choose to read books by the author if I enjoyed one of their previous works. :)
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Ava

Post by Ava »

1. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Dick; 1984 by Orwell; and The Alchemist by Coelho.

2. I don't feel like I prefer any genre. The only trend I notice is that I like to read famous or popular books, whether they are popular now or ageless classics. I like reading books that have a higher likelihood of being a topic of conversation in the future.

3. I read through books so slowly that I can't think of any book on my To Read list that wasn't a recommendation from others.

In the movie Ever After, the main character loved Utopia by Thomas More and I decided to read it as well. So even if I'm not going by recs from real people, I derive recs from fictional people. :heh:
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

Pride and Prejudice, The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Brave New World (which I seriously need to reread).

I haven't read much for leisure in the past few years, but I think in general I can read anything as long as it entices me and the author's style is something I can follow.

Since my inclination to read is pretty weak, I usually only pick up a book if a ton of people recommend it to me. However, there have been times when I've read something because of my preference for the author, such as Wilde's Dorian Gray.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

None, I like movies, series and games. I check out books as a way to expand on something visual that I already like. I just recently listened to Slayers: Crimson Obsession one of the light novels the anime is based on (translated of course).

None. I like to listen to science fiction and some fantasy. The kind of fantasy that has defined magic with limits and "logical" options like in Slayers and that's not as random as Harry Potter.

See question #1.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

1. What are your favorite books? "A Wizard of Earthsea"! and I really like CS Lewis's Space Trilogy: "Out of the Silent Planet". I know a lot of people don't care for him due to the Narnia series, but his novels are written very differently from his children's literature. It's imaginative and poetic and I really enjoy it. The second is good too, the third is a little out of place but still enjoyable. :) I read a lot but it's sometimes hard for me to pick a "favorite". I think I'm really snobby when it comes to writing so it's hard for me to pick something that I'm really ga-ga over. Also, I feel like a lot of fantasy books are repetitive.

2. What genre do you prefer to read?
Usually fantasy, but I've been reading more non-fiction books these days. Mostly ancient cultures and user experience books.

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book?
Whatever I'm in the mood for? I admit, I will pick up books that have cover art that I like or themes that I like. For example, I usually like reading books with Talking Dragons, Mages, and Gryphons and will just pick those up because they have themes I like. (I am usually disappointed when I do that...) I like browsing the library and interacting with physical books so I think not having an e-reading device really pushes me to go out there and just browse. I find that's easier for me.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
John Dies at the End by David Wong
1984 by George Orwell
...and wow...those are three completely different genres just right there <_<

Fantasy for the most part, though recently I don't seem to find any good ones, but what I like the most are books written with an unusual style (see "John Dies at the End" up there). Supernatural is also very likely to hook me, especially if the author made his homework on the subject.

It depends really, sometimes I just decide to buy a book because some random people talk about it on the internet, I look it up and it seems like an interesting book. Otherwise I usually go scavenging in a bookshop, checking titles and covers first and then reading the summaries to see if it seems worth the investment.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

His Dark Materials Trilogy
Alice in Wonderland
The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Frankenstein
I am Legend
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder
Empress by Shan Sa

Horror, dark fantasy, Gothic Fantasy, Historical Ficiton

Because I want to be a writer, I'll try anything once. I'm generally not too picky content wise. In fact, I prefer to be able to hold a book so that I can skim through the first few pages. If I like it, I'll get it.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

The Velveteen Rabbit
Frankenstein
Alice in Wonderland
The Phantom of the Opera

Don't really have a preference here. So anything except romance.

I read the back of the book, if it sounds interesting I'll read it. I do this with video games too.

Which reminds me I need to finish The Portrait of Dorian Gray and read Peter Pan.
;o; *** pew! pew!