A Song of Ice and Fire

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Masao
Host

A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Masao »

Does anyone else read the books (which the show Game of Thrones is based off of)?

And if so, who are you favorite characters? Favorite aspect of the series?

Please put any spoilers under the spoiler tag.

My favorite book of the series is some what of a toss up between A Storm of Swords and A Feast for Crows, thought there are parts of A Dance with Dragons I really love.

My favorite characters are: Theon Greyjoy, Jaime Lannister, Sansa Stark, Brienne of Tarth, and Tyrion Lannister of the POV characters, and a bunch of side characters, including but not limited to: Doran Martell, Oberyn Martell, Loras Tyrell, Renly Baratheon, Margaery Tyrell, and sometimes Petyr Baelish.

I think sometimes the plot drags on in parts, but my favorite aspect is how well developed the characters are. It's really hard for me to hate any characters, even the worst of the worst, because they really all have reasons behind it.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Saya

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Saya »

I think I'm cursed, because it seems everytime I try reading it, something happens... still haven't finished the first book *goes cry in the corner* - for now I have a soft spot for Tyrion and Dany XD, and I'm intrigued by Jon Snow.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I've been looking for a new book to read. I might check this series out!
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

Masao I didn't know you liked Sansa! You surprise me here! Maybe I'll come to like her while I read more of the books! :o *wonder*
I'm about to finish the Dragon's Queen. I've read that in Italy each book is divided in more books so it's the 2nd one I'm about to finish since it's the 4th in my country.

However until what I read now my favorite characters are: Arya Stark, Tyrion Lannister, Jaime Lannister, Ser Jora Mormont, Jon Snow, Eddard Stark, Bryenne, Gendri, Davos Seaworth. Meh.. I think I don't dislike even Varys cause I think he is more nice then we can see, even if subtle!
I like even Sandor Clegane, even if he is way rude, he is the only one that care about Sansa..
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
In my advice she deserved what Joffrey did her, cause if it wasn't for her stupidness, Eddard hadn't died, nothing had happened.. However it's nice to see the hound care about her. It's the living proof with Dontos of how much Sansa was wrong with her childish idea of chivalry..

Btw I like also the Reek boys!!! :heart:
"There is only one God, and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: Not today"
Syrio Forel, ASoIaF
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Nekoi wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
In my advice she deserved what Joffrey did her, cause if it wasn't for her stupidness, Eddard hadn't died, nothing had happened.. However it's nice to see the hound care about her. It's the living proof with Dontos of how much Sansa was wrong with her childish idea of chivalry..

I'm not the biggest fan of Sansa (although she's definitely grown on me and I am hoping for great things for her in the next book - if it's ever released and if GRRM ever decides to move the plot forward omfg), but she was just a silly kid who didn't deserve to be betrothed to a psychopath and slapped around and threatened with constant violence.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I cannot WAIT until Joffery dies in the HBO series. He is a horrible, horrible character.
These books fall into the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for me. Great story and great worldbuilding and interesting characters, but could seriously have been edited better. At times I found them a slog to get through, although it probably wasn't helped by the fact that I read a bunch of them in quick succession.
a spoony bard
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Well I can't wait for that too. Even if the plot of the tv show is moving differently from the books and I hope this doesn't mean that they'll remove our entertaining moment..
That's true, however I can't forget the cruelty that Sansa reserved to her own father, just to follow silly fairytales of chivalries. She never asked herself which were the reason that moved her father doing those choices. She just betrayed him in a blow for her "oh so marvelous and bright" love for Joffrey, erased with one hit of sword. She is really improving in the chapters I read, but the lady's, in my advice, still too childish and stupid. Sansa's very much like her mother, another character that i can't stand.. :/

Well my friend is usual say that Martin isn't that detailed with descriptions then when he talks about of foods..Affirmation that I find as much funny as true!XD
"There is only one God, and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death: Not today"
Syrio Forel, ASoIaF
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Emma wrote:
Nekoi wrote:
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW

I'm not the biggest fan of Sansa (although she's definitely grown on me and I am hoping for great things for her in the next book - if it's ever released and if GRRM ever decides to move the plot forward omfg), but she was just a silly kid who didn't deserve to be betrothed to a psychopath and slapped around and threatened with constant violence.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I cannot WAIT until Joffery dies in the HBO series. He is a horrible, horrible character.
These books fall into the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo for me. Great story and great worldbuilding and interesting characters, but could seriously have been edited better. At times I found them a slog to get through, although it probably wasn't helped by the fact that I read a bunch of them in quick succession.
(Sansa and Joffery related spoilers)

In the first book/season, Sansa is a pretty foolish girl, and at first she really annoyed me, and I didn't care much for her until episode 10, but once that gave me a new view of Sansa, I looked back and rethought me view of her. A lot of people judge her really harshly, but we shouldn't forget Sansa is just a little girl, who's been raised to believe everyone is as noble as her mother and father, and things are like the songs, with knights rescuing maidens. It's like Ned said to Arya, as bad as it as for Sansa to lie and keep quiet about what really happened between Arya and Joffery, the fact remains that Sansa was betrothed to him. If she had called him out as a liar, what would that do for her future? And raised like a proper lady, how could she announce the man who will be her king and husband to be a cruel liar?
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
And as wrong as it was for her to tell the Queen about her father's plans, she had no idea how cruel Cersei could be, and only thought her father was going to take her away from King's Landing.
As for what happened to Ned,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I personally think the people who have the most responsibility for Ned's death is Ned Stark himself and Joffery. There's a whole series of events and a lot of character contributed to it, but I think Ned got the ball rolling when he threatened the Queen and tried to exile her. He expected her to get scared off and perhaps behave like a weak woman, but instead Cersei defended herself in reaction to his threat. And Joffery at the end showed how cruel he really was by going around everyone and all the plans of sending Ned to the Wall by ordering for his head.
I really like Sansa because she's not the typical "strong" character who battles with swords and weapons. She has none of those advantages that Arya has, and in fact,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
had Arya and Sansa's positions been switched, neither of them would have survived. Arya would never have enough tact to survive in the mess and lies of King's Landing within the lion's den, and Sansa could never have hoped to survive out in the wild.
What I really like about Sansa is she has a quiet strength. She had her whole life and view of the world turned upside down,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
and she's had to learn how to maneuver through all the dangers and learn how to lie to survive. She doesn't break "woman" stereotypes, but she doesn't need to, because there is not only one way to be strong (we don't need to act "manly" in order to have strength).
And especially in the later books (A Storm of Swords & A Feast for Crows), Sansa really shines for me because she's really learned how to play the game.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Though it's a little creepy she has to deal with Littlefinger's advances. But it pretty much shows she's no longer that innocent and naive girl in the first book, because she can lie and but up a mask like second nature, and she knows it's her weapon when her life is so full of people wanting to use her.
I like how GRRM writes her because she's essentially us in some ways, as we are the unsuspecting readers in the beginning, naive to all of GRRM's plots. But she grows as the story moves forward, and she loses her childish innocence and learns how the real world works. And while there are many moments/quotes I thought really captured her position well, my favorite is when she says to herself,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
"No one will ever marry me for love."
(omg no one should ask me about Theon because I will probably belch out a massive TL;DR post, and I do enough of those on tumblr....)

But I definitely agree the best part about ASOIAF is the world and all of its inhabitants. I love how much details there are and how all of the characters, from the major to the tiny minor ones, all have a live of their own, and they really feel like real characters, instead of just paper cut outs, meant to make a point or only to move a plot. The downside to the POV format is when you get to a particular slow or "boring" character, you're stuck reading through that. And as for the plot... it really moves slow, especially for a few POV characters.
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
It's true that Eddard was the most stupid honourable man of the world, but since she knew her own father she had to entrust him a little bit. She was really a young girl ok, but she make him killed to follow her childish feelings..
She is really blood of her mother in this! Lot of mistake made to follow impulsive emotions! :/
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Yes Ned really searched for it, all cause of his honour. However the plan he had was good.. if only Cersei hadn't find about it and jailed Ned. So in the end, while he did plenty of mistakes, without Sansa's silliness he could be still alive.
However it's also true that even if Cersei was cruel she had the intent to send him alive to the Wall. Joffrey is the nut here. I can't really wait to see him dead. I really wonder how Tommen can be that different.

In the end..it's all fault of Martin!XD He wanted him death! Poor Eddard!

I really like Sansa because she's not the typical "strong" character who battles with swords and weapons. She has none of those advantages that Arya has, and in fact,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
had Arya and Sansa's positions been switched, neither of them would have survived. Arya would never have enough tact to survive in the mess and lies of King's Landing within the lion's den, and Sansa could never have hoped to survive out in the wild.
What I really like about Sansa is she has a quiet strength. She had her whole life and view of the world turned upside down,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
and she's had to learn how to maneuver through all the dangers and learn how to lie to survive. She doesn't break "woman" stereotypes, but she doesn't need to, because there is not only one way to be strong (we don't need to act "manly" in order to have strength).
I think that it's cause she is that kind of woman that I can't come to like her. She act as most of the woman but cause of this I see her weak. And if you look Arya or Bran or Robb, you can say that age had no mean. She was childish, I think even the most childish among her brothers with Rickon.
She is nice, that's true, but again how is she different of Cat
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
who caused a war
? :/ The both bring just troubles!
I find myself more nearby Arya's style then Sansa's!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I agree with you that switched they had being doomed. However Sansa had good chance to leave King's Landing, even with the hound, but she stayed and for what? To hear Joffrey renounce their engagement and still be his toy when he is bored? =/ She was stupid again to think that they had left her go home.. really! How never learn from her own mistakes.
If I was in Sansa, as much the hound was ugly, I had followed him. In the end he was always rude with her but he never hurted or betrayed her! But she can't still see that behind the burned face of that rude man!
I can judge Cersei a strong noble woman that uses women's weapons.. not Sansa. Ok Cersei is cruel and a pure bitch, but she is fierce and strong. It can't be denied. Comparing Sansa to Cersei and not to Arya, you see still how weak Sansa is (where I reached the books, again I can change my mind while the story evolve! That's the good of these books! You never know how they'll turn and if your idea will change). While sometimes she jump with wise words. But I'm of the idea that intellect and wiseness can come from 2 different roads.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I've to come on that part, however I'm glad to say that Sansa became part of the game better then she does until where I read. I sincerely hope she'll become Cersei-good! I'd quiet enough of Cersei-evil!
Omg comparing myself with Sansa..XD But yes this aspect is charming! Even if I learned after Eddard's discovers not to expect anything since everything can happen in ASoIaF!!

The good of GRRM is that he is able to develop all the character he put in his chess-game! He rarely ignore someone of them, and even if he seem doing it, next chapter you jump on that character! However he still had a pet pev describing foods and drinks! XD

Aaah I'm always stuck when I read about Stannis!=_= While I like Davos, that man is so boring! Same when I read about Cat! While Arya and Tyrion and Jon's chapters run fast as the wind!!
Syrio Forel, ASoIaF
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Sansa
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
"killed" her father. Like I said, there were many factors, and even if you disagree with me about Ned's own involvement, it's undeniable that the only person who killed him was Joffery, because Cersei and the rest only wanted to make him go away to the Wall, and take his power away.
A friend of mine pointed this out, and while I don't fully believe it, I think it's nonetheless a good point. Ned expected Cersei to back down because she was a woman, and he expected her to bend to his will, and be obedient. And this reminds me of when Cersei says to Ned, "And what of my wraith?" Because Ned forgets that Cersei holds a ton of power, and he thinks by threatening her, she'll just do what he says.

Sansa let the queen know, but that was just one step.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Littlefinger warned Ned, Renly warned Ned, and even Cersei had given her own version of the warning when Ned first confronted her. And ultimately, it was Littlefinger who lies to Ned and turns him over to Cersei, so I think it's a bit unfair to put most of the blame on Sansa.
Sansa was the one who knew least about the cruelty of others, and expected people to be as kind and noble as her own family, as she knew no differently. And this whole part of the plot goes to show how much Sansa was mistaken, and how much she paid for her innocence, because she was punished for it.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
She watched as her father was beheaded and then had to live amongst the people who killed him and pretend so she can survive, all while weathering Joffery's abuse.
Which leads us to Sandor. He is no romantic figure by any stretch of the word, and it's nothing to do with his disfigurement. He represents the hero/knight that Sansa always heard in her songs, but instead of gallant and handsome, he is ugly and cruel. He is kinder to her than the rest of the Kingsguard (which isn't saying much, since the rest of them are pretty terrible), save for
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Arys Oakheart, who cannot bare to hit Sansa, and in the end gladly (and somewhat cowardly) chooses to avoid it by going off with Myrcella to Dorne. Sandor is not the savior Sansa would have chosen, but he is the one she gets (along with Tyrion).
As for your argument that Sansa would have been better off if she had left with Sandor, I've always been extremely thankful she hesitated at the end and did not go with him, because in the next book,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Sandor reveals his regrets and pointed says he should have had Sansa when he had the chance. And bu this, he means to have her virginity. I don't doubt had she left with him, he probably would have forced her and raped her in some fashion
, because no matter how "kind" and useful to her in King's Landing, he is still cruel and ruthless.

Intellect and wisdom are not always the same thing, that is true. But I think it's a little unfair to hold Sansa up to have "wisdom," and when she lacks it, to call her a failure and belittle her for it, because she is a young girl, and at her age, to have her level of intellect is to say a lot in itself. Wisdom comes with experience, and Sansa is still getting there.

As for strength, I think it's a bit sexist for people to say Sansa is weak because she doesn't "fight" or uses weapons, because that buys into the stereotype that in order to be strong, you have to fight with manly weapons like swords. The only reason that is considered strong is because men have done it for as long as we've been living, and it's what's expected. It's something that was created by a male-dominated society. So to say Sansa is weak because she doesn't fight with swords like Arya is to say girls can only be strong when they act like boys.

Sansa, like Cersei, uses the only "weapons" available to her. Cersei uses her sex, while Sansa uses her innocence. Sansa acts the way people want her to act so she can survive. She plays them just as Cersei plays with them, except with less malice. By A Feast for Crows,
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Sansa is at her best. She plays along with Littlefinger so that he'll take care of her and teach her, and she plays with little Robert Arryn so that he behaves. In fact, Sansa becomes his favorite, because Sansa is the one who knows how to best handle him.
Tyrion saw this in her as well. Sansa has a natural talent for picking up how to compliment and make people happy, and Tyrion remarks that had Joffery given her the chance, she would have made a wonderful Queen. Sansa would have made anyone a wonderful wife. But when she is thrown in the lion's den, she doesn't know who to trust, and that's when she no longer freely give her kindness.

Catelyn is not my favorite, but I don't think it's fair to say she "caused the war." Because really, the trigger was
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Ned's head and Joffery being illegitimate. There was also many factors that contributed in the end, and I think Cat paid enough when she lost Ned.
As for comparing Sansa to the other Stark children in terms of maturity. I still stand by that Sansa is the only one who could play the game. Spoilers for A Storm of Swords, so don't read if you don't want major spoilers for that. Let's start with Robb.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I think he's probably the worst example to use if we're talking about winning the game, because he lost. He lost big time. Robb was great on the battle field, but while he was ingenious with battle tactics, he ultimately failed when it came to the political side. He naively marries Jeyne Westerling because he couldn't bare taking her virginity and not marrying her, thinking it nobler to not dishonor her like that. Instead he dishonors his oath to marry one of Walder Frey's daughters, which leads to the Freys betraying Robb at the Red Wedding. He also showed weakness when it came to listening to his mother, because Catelyn warned him not to send Theon Greyjoy back to Pyke as envoy. Catelyn may never have liked Theon, but she could see Theon wanted acknowledgment and as soon as he was out of their reach, Theon would seek it with his own family. And Theon did exactly that. Losing Theon ultimately led to losing Winterfell, and losing Winterfell ultimately led to losing the Bolton support. When Robb lost the North, Roose Bolton decided it was not so beneficial to support Robb, and joined alliance with Tywin Lannister in plotting the Red Wedding with Walder Frey.
As for Arya, she's far too reckless to ever play the game.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
In the show, she boldly claims that "most girls are stupid," and while some people laughed with her thinking she was right, it illustrates that Arya knows very little of the world. She only views her version of things, and never thinks about different types of women and strength. She's great at killing and fighting, but she could never put on a mask and pretend to love the people she hates, and it's this trait that would ultimately get her killed or imprisoned in a worst state if she had been in Sansa's shoes. She only manages to shed her skin and put on masks when she trains with the Faceless Men, but even then, it takes ages for her to let go of her revenge.
Arya is great, but her strength is different than Sansa's, and it's not so easy to say she really "grows up" through the story, but rather changes through her training.

Bran on the other hand
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
, is probably too simple-minded. He dreams of being a knight, and forever mourns the fact he can't now, because he is crippled. When Meera and Jojen Reed tell him stories, he gets bored and wants the stories to be stereotyped and heroic, not realizing that the story the Reeds tell him is real. We can never expect him to know they were talking about the tourney that led to Lyanna being taken away by Rhaegar, because there's no way he could have known it, since Ned never talked about it, but Bran's comments on the story shows that he too is stuck on fantasy songs of gallantry like Sansa. Bran is not sneaky or manipulative, and his story is always tied to the nature and the old gods.
Davos is too loyal and noble, and that's probably why he comes off as a bit boring. I love Davos because he's just so loyal and good. And the one quote he says that best describes him is, "A fool who loved his king too much."
Nekoi

Post by Nekoi »

SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
She was the one advising Cersey so she is as guilt as much as the queen and Joffrey! If Sansa hadn't advised the queen, Ned could be safe in theory! :/ There are a mixture of things but that.. they could go back home! They had a chance! But Sansa had the great idea, dictated by young love and inexperience of course, to advice Cersey. *forever sobbing*
I think Ned did what he did 'cause he couldn't expect that the king had died and that, after he had told him Cersey's lusty traitor acts, he had went in fury and could have killed the children.
Ned knew the obsession of Robert against the Targaryen and he couldn't stand killing innocent infants so he feared that Robert could be guilt to have murdered Joffrey (not very innocent here), Tommen and Mircella..
I don't really think he wanted Cersey to obey, he wishes just to protect the infants while they were Lannisters and he didn't entrust none of them. A big mistake indeed.
It's true that Cersei had power and i suppose he forgot about them, but I see Ned more like a person free from mischievous intents!
He couldn't sneeze the controversial backstage that Cersey is usual plan. He just wanted to save those children.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
The reason I came to think of this it's cause of Jon Snow true mother. I've my own theory that I thin is the same that most of the fans has. That Jon isn't Eddard's bastard son but his sister's and Raeghal's one.. At least that's what the books plot makes me think!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
That's why I can't stand Sansa. She is all "oh so dreamy" still even if she was put brutally in front of the cruel truth. All of those silly stories are lies. Still she haven't take the only good hands she received. As much as Sandor even Tyrion's..
All except her "Florian's ... that's not much more attractive then Sandor in my advice...
She is too focus on external beauty to notice the truth behind it.. until now at least. Take Loras! She adore him, but the moment she say one wrong word, all the beauty disappear and he show his rude side.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Well Sandor isn't a knight or chivalry and we knew about it. and we also are aware that h want Sansa. So I've no doubts that he'd like her virginity. Still I wonder if after that he had kept being faithful or not, I like to think he had.. Honestly better raped by Sandor then stay still beside Joffrey that hits her hardly each time he is in bad mood. Sandor is cruel but he cared of Sansa more then he shown! :/

Well not that Joffrey is much more smart and intelligent of Sansa, on that Sansa totally wins. He is with no doubt smarted and wiser then Joffrey.
However she didn't learned much the lessons.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I read about the Tyrell's grandmother part where they asked about Joffrey and Sansa in the end revealed about the brutality he reserved her. Now I don't know if she can entrust her..she doesn't too but still she spit all out. She knew that King's Landing walls has ears, but she did it anyway. I think that even if this could bring positive things to Sansa, she was still naive! :/

But yeah she is young, that it's true. As much as most of the main characters however.

I think that Sansa isn't weak cause of the absent fighting skills, maybe I couldn't express my idea well. I find her weak cause other woman maybe had tried to organize plots or stuffs themselves. She is always there awaiting for one hand that help. Even Arya is better of her in this. The both are naive in their owne manner anyway.

When I see Sansa I think that Martin wanted to destroy the utopia world that the fairtytales shows. The one where damsel in distress are always saved by charming princes.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
However following what you write, it seem that she will start playing well the game. I'm curious now to continue the lecture and know more!
I didn't come to read all the books yet, so maybe I'll slowly change my mind on Sansa.
Again I hope I'll come to like her as much a you, but until now I've no love for her.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
If Catelyn hadn't took Tyrion with force, Ned could keep staying there and investigate more peacefully. He hadn't lost most of his men neither he had that horrible fracture in the leg. This had put him in a best position and he could organist himself better for the truth he found later.
That's all cause of Catelyn attempt to capture Tyrion and make her own avenge. Before of that the Lannister hadn't start any attack against Ned in King's Landing and against the North (at least not directly).
You know how much the family is "important" to Tywin. Do you really think that send Ned to the wall had made everything more easy? The was has start already on that time!
Everything cracked up the moment in that tavern when she asked to arrest Tyrion.
I think that Cat is taking everything she asked for! :/ I can't stand her at all!
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I knew about Robb's Red Wedding. However before that moment Robb was doing marvelously. Do you think if Sansa was a male had made differently? As much Sansa is a still a kid, Robb is the same. But he payed an higher price for his few experience.
He lost his life, that's true, but he just did what he thought was right following what his father teach him.
Not that Cathelyn could teach him much about love since she's the mother who left a 3-4 years old and a 7 years old boys alone. Oh so motherly..
The only thing I appreciate of Cat there is that she did all she could to have her daughters back, even if they were all wrong acts. She did tones of mistakes, I really hadn't listen her as well!

I like to think that Arya will come to do something important and shocking before the end of the story. Maybe that's my fangirl's side, but really hope she will.
However Sansa had to play the game cause she wasn't smart enough to escape from the First Knight Tower.
I appreciate Arya cause of her sincerity. She always hate lies, as much as her father, as much as me.
However again the "she is a kid" fact doesn't applies just to Sansa, but even way more to Arya since she is younger. She is too young to understand that sometimes it's necessary wear a mask. She is too young to understand that sometimes it's necessary wear a mask.
However she did, in my advice (cause again I feel more like Arya then Sansa) great until now. I point my finger on the men she choice to murder with Jaqen H'ghar, to follow her avenge wish (ah Catelyn!-.-).
I think that it's impossible replace the two, cause as much as Arya had done horrible in Sansa's place, Sansa had died way long time ago in Arya's place.
Even if I'd really love to see Sansa do everything Arya did, from cleaning the poop and steps to even think how kill a man.

Personal hope: I think that Arya will never leave her revenge idea. She's still a Stark.
If we can't compare Sansa with the brothers, then let's compare her with Margary Tyrell.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
4 years of differences of course and a different kind of family too. However Margary is way smarter then Sansa. I wonder what she had done in her place. She is way smart and cunning. I wonder if she had find some way to escape from there by herself or always awaiting for a Florian. In the end that's what I scold Sansa the most. She doesn't search by herself for someone to help, she always await that it's someone to help and organizes stuffs. Cersey has organized everything herself as much as Margary.
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
I doubt however that none of the brothers then Bran and Rickon could ever trust the Reeds' stories.. I'm way curious however to read about Lyanna!
However he could keep Winterfell!! With of course the master helping him, but he could and he was so young and had to replace his father and brother all at once.
He was great emulating and doing what his father teach him. It's true that he is aways from all the poison that belongs in King's Landing so we don't know what he had done there. However that young boy did his best even when Winterfell went to Theon.. Still he is a boy with young dreams so I really wouldn't point a finger against what he wishes and dreams much.
Well it's not Davos himself the one that bores me, it's Stannis!-_-' The chapters where he is alone.. I loved them!!!
Syrio Forel, ASoIaF