A Song of Ice and Fire

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Masao
Host

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire

Post by Masao »

I think we've hijacked this thread long enough.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. You're set on placing a huge amount of blame on one little girl and insisting she should have known better, and I stand firm in believing that more than one person held the blame for the course of events. And I still stand on my view that there are different forms of strength, and not all of them involve fighting (sword or no sword).

And I just want to add that the reason Loras might have been "rude" is because
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
he just lost the love of his life, and has to pretend like Margaery is in greater mourning than himself.
We can't all be so lucky to have learned the best from the Queen of Thorns (in regards to Margaery being "smarted" than Sansa).

As for Tywin, he pretty was pretty specific about how now that
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Ned's dead
, they can't even negotiate with the Starks for Jaime or anything at all. So yeah, he would have been very much on the idea of
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
sending Ned to the Wall instead.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Icewolf

Post by Icewolf »

I am making my way through the third in the series now. It is one of my favourite series and I wish I'd got into it before the TV series came out....
Loki

Post by Loki »

One of my favorite series. I read it long before TV show and I am glad I did it because now I have my own view on characters and I don't see Jon Snow as the actor which would be totally wrong ;p

I love Daenerys, Ramsay, Tyrion and Littlefinger. My favorite from these is Littlefinger (probably), he is so sly! Just like true ambitious Slytherin ;p I love the world Martin sets up and the political wars between the houses.

I collect various editions of ASoIaF. I have some in English language but haven't read them yet. I have two editions of each Polish ASoIaF.
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Trickster of Ragnarok Network
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I read the first book, but it took me several months to wade through GRRM's prose (not exactly sure why, I'm usually a fast reader). Didn't help that I felt an immediate connection to the Stark family, only for that family to receive the first of GRRM's infamous "death blows." Kinda doesn't make me eager to read the rest of the series. :/ (Also, there's the fact that my local library has exactly 2 copies of A Clash of Kings, both of which stay checked out for multiple years on end, apparently >:C)

But I do have a couple of things inspiring me to read more, despite my sad feels about the Stark family (gahhhh especially Ned...the whole book I'm thinking "At his core he's just a regular dad trying to do what's right," and then at the end I was like "NO, GRRM, WHY YOU DO THIS D: "). I want to see how the Daenerys storyline shapes up--I was very pleasantly surprised to see how fluently GRRM writes from a female perspective, and I want to see how the Targaryen storyline crosses with the rest of the plot threads. I also (unexpectedly) like the character of Tyrion Lannister, and want to see what's done with him in later books. :)
Last edited by Robin on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Loki

Post by Loki »

Tyrion is bril, he is only Lannister I like and he is so different from the other Lions. Well, I like Cersei too but for reasons that are in the next books so I am not spoiling you that. You will see, if you like strong female characters, you will like Asha Greyjoy. Dany goes boring in the last book, though. I wish she was that epic as in the first three books.

Good luck with reading! I really hope you will like Clash of Kings ;p
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Trickster of Ragnarok Network
Laura

Post by Laura »

I'm pretty excited about the latest season too~ Mostly because it's going into territory that we haven't seen yet since Winds of Winter still isn't published. xD

I really like Sansa's character development over the series. I didn't really like her at first because I felt she was a bit haughty but I quickly started sympathizing with her when things started to go bad. Now she's one of the more interesting characters and I find myself looking forward to reading her chapters quite a bit. :3

I would love to see a shrine for Sansa! I've got plans for Jon and Daeny eventually; I probably won't get to them right away because of other projects but they're definitely on my "to do" list. I imagine once season six starts airing, I'm gonna get GoT fever and I'm gonna want to start working on them. xD It'd be cool to be able to have someone to talk to about the series while I work on it. :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I haven't been able to read A Dance with Dragons yet :/ I need to get on that, but each book takes so long for me to get through. The writing is great but "thick," if that makes sense. Have to find it at the library too, and I'll need to renew it 3 or 4 times LOL

(And though I like a lot of the characters, there isn't really one that has drawn me in yet--those are the characters I usually shrine, so I'll have to wait and see.)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

Robin wrote:I haven't been able to read A Dance with Dragons yet :/ I need to get on that, but each book takes so long for me to get through. The writing is great but "thick," if that makes sense. Have to find it at the library too, and I'll need to renew it 3 or 4 times LOL

(And though I like a lot of the characters, there isn't really one that has drawn me in yet--those are the characters I usually shrine, so I'll have to wait and see.)
Yeah, the writing is a bit dense... but maybe that's why I like it so much and why GRRM is considered the modern day Tolkien. xD

The density of it is the only thing I fear about going and making a character shrine... it's a looooot of text to go through. :x