What are you currently reading?

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by Robin »

I remember Flowers for Algernon! I think I read it in eighth grade--so sweet (and bittersweet). :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Todd

Post by Todd »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:I remember Flowers for Algernon! I think I read it in eighth grade--so sweet (and bittersweet). :)
You probably read the short story/novella in eighth grade like I did. There is a full-length novel I'm reading. :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

OOO, so it's an extended version of the story? :O "the more you know...* "
withinmyworld.org
Todd

Post by Todd »

A Wrinkle In Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Finished A Wrinkle In Time today. Now reading a book called The Housemates by an indie author named Iain Wright.
Rems

Post by Rems »

I'm (slowly) re-reading Sabriel by Garth Nix, partly for dreamwidth RP reasons, partly for shrine reasons, and mainly during my breaks at work. Hit about 50% today!
❝ they have stolen the heart from inside you, but this does not define you ❞
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I'm reading a non-fiction book called The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. It's about how many modern Christians have become complacent and don't really help others anymore--they just throw Scripture at people/share a few posts on Facebook/etc. and pretend they've done their "good deed" for the day. (Stearns writes this from his own perspective of having been comfortable and complacent in his own faith life before he got a huuuuuge awakening--this is really refreshing!)

Some bits are told in semi-narrative form and some bits are more informational, but altogether I find it to be a clarion call in book form, really challenging and convicting.
withinmyworld.org
Laura

Post by Laura »

I actually started reading the Slayers original light novels after I found some epub translations of all 15 books online. xD I've read the first 8 before but never got around to reading the second half of the series because there wasn't any good translation of it all online until just a couple years ago. Someone formatted it well into epub and I've got it on my iPad. <3
catnox wrote:i'm re-reading the dune series and i adore it. i started reading it years ago when i was really young, so reading it again now feels like it's ALL NEW AGAIN!
I really need to get around to reading Dune! My best friend IRL really loves the series and I kept meaning to borrow the books off him at some point. Maybe I'll try giving it a read when I go visit next time. :3
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

catnox wrote:i'm re-reading the dune series and i adore it. i started reading it years ago when i was really young, so reading it again now feels like it's ALL NEW AGAIN!
YES GOOD one of my very favorite series. Which book are you on?
tonight fate is the
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

catnox wrote:right now your dune fanlisting is the only one i've joined since i moved my site over to new hosting! (that layout is really awesome by the way!!) :blush: but yes i love it so much, i'm on god emperor of dune right now. i am really enjoying it but i think so far it is my least favorite. i have a hard time adjusting to a lot of change usually haha
Oh, thank you so much! :yay: I'm glad you like it!

God-Emperor of Dune is a book I really didn't care for my first few times through the series; I think it was only in my most recent readthrough that I actually started liking the book. It's very much a transitional story, meant to get you from the end of the previous book to the start of the next, so not a whole lot happens within that book itself. But personally I find the character of Leto II fascinating in God-Emperor of Dune in a way he wasn't in Children of Dune.
tonight fate is the