What are you currently reading?

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: What are you currently reading?

Post by nyxmidnight »

It's also Fifty Shades of Sexual and Mental Abuse.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

nyxmidnight wrote:It's also Fifty Shades of Sexual and Mental Abuse.
YEP! A lot of the stuff in the books isn't even sexy or desirable--it's like it's trying too hard to be "gritty" and "realistic," but it just ends up more abusive. I haven't gotten all the way through Book 3 yet (there's a lot more sap and syrup in Book 3), so I don't know quite where all of this is going, but most of the time I've just read through thinking, "...REALLY?"
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

OH GOD THOSE BOOKS ARE SO BAD. Although I admittedly only made it through the first one - I couldn't imagine it got any better and Jenny Reads Fifty Shades of Grey proved me right. I'm so frustrated by an abusive relationship being made out to be sexy and hearing other women say they want to find their own Christian Grey, noooooo, stop.

What I'm currently (re)reading now is A Song of Ice and Fire. Still just on Game of Thrones at the moment. It's been years since I've read this, and I'm really enjoying it. I also basically speed read through books 4 & 5 so I'm looking forward to taking my time with them this time. It's nice to get back to this, considering how frustrated I've been with the TV series.
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I read Game of Thrones earlier this year and was surprised at how long it took me to trudge through it--I felt like I was slogging through a jungle of words, even though there were parts of the book I really really enjoyed. The prose was very "thick," if that makes any sense? LOL

As soon as the second book (A Clash of Titans, right?) is back in the library, I'm going to check it out--gotta feed my fantasy addiction, as well as keep abreast of what's going on in fantasy so that I know where my own novel will fit one day. :)
withinmyworld.org
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Oh, I definitely know what you mean! I do think GRRM could have greatly benefited from a harsher editor. Someone needed to take a red pen to those books something fierce.
a spoony bard
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Emma wrote:Oh, I definitely know what you mean! I do think GRRM could have greatly benefited from a harsher editor. Someone needed to take a red pen to those books something fierce.
LOL, I had to restrain my "former-English-teacher" pen many times--I would think "Oh MANNN I want to edit this but this is a library book and I can't mark in it lol"

I did love the Daenerys storyline in the first GoT book, though--GRRM writes surprisingly well about a woman's perspective, and I like her character.:)
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

A teeny update: right now I'm working back through an old favorite series, The Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth. It's set in a fantasy medieval-Celtic land with lots of magic, swords, royal courts, rebel plots, and intrigue...currently on Book 3 of 6 and enjoying my trip down Memory Lane!
withinmyworld.org
Shin

Post by Shin »

I am reading Prodigy by Marie Lu.

It's the second installment of the Legend trilogy. I also have the third book, Champion.

Marie Lu is a game developer, I believe. Her books are highly recommended for anime, manga and gaming fans.
Shi - Honor & Blood
"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I started Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library by Chris Grabenstein. It's supposed to be a puzzle/solving book! we shall see~
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Nomi

Post by Nomi »

I just finished the first book of the Grisha Chronicles, Shadow and Bone last night! Am currently reading David Levithan's short story collection How They Met which I started a while ago but have been making slow progress through and started on John Scalzi's The God Engines this morning!