Frankenstein

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Frankenstein

Post by dubiousdisc »

Haha, just yesterday I was mentioning to my girlfriend how attached I am to the Frankenstein's monster archetype and that in high school I wrote an entire paper about that, talking about many characters who draw inspiration from that :D

tl;dr, it's one of my favorite books. It's been many years since the last time I read it but I remember really enjoying it.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

lol XD I guess Frank was scared and disappointed. But the zombie wasn't a bad person... Also Frank was a bit stupid to miss the opportunity! Seriously a zombie would become more famous than a human looking creature. No one would believe it to be an experiment if he looked two human. I would have become the monster's manager and make him a celebrity, and as there's room for all kinds of unusual obsessions in the world, he'd probably have fangirls too. O.o;;
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Mikari, holy shit, I'm seeing that in my mind as that Bugs Bunny cartoon when he was trying to prettify Gossamer...
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't think I watched that one, or I did and can't remember. I do remember Gossamer though... after I googled it and saw a picture. That was a fun monster.
alexielnet

Post by alexielnet »

I had to write a major collage essay on it and I really didn't like it. It was like a massive pity party for poor Franky and I hated the way it treated women. The one woman who dares to have little sympathy for our hero is a poor person any way so she doesn't matter. That was another thing that I hated about the books was the classicism. Of course that was just how things were back then, and today to some extent if you look closely, but I would rather have written about the classicism than the Gothic elements in the story because I think it would have made a more original and interesting essay.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

You already know my thoughts. I just love mymonster okay!? <3 it's one of my favorite books though.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I like to pick on monsters XD
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I know~! I'm just a big fan of the Gothic stuff in general. I just remember the first time I read Frankenstein, I was like "Vincent?" I read it years after playing the initial game, but it is one of my favorites. I've read it two or three times, but I like the "darker" feel. Koontz actually has an interesting interpretation of what's going on with Victor and the Creature, which he name Deucalion. It's not too bad, I admit I got it because I wanted to know how he thought to continue it. It's set in modern day, so it's not as bad. Some of the characters get fleshed out a lot better, but I think there's a lot to be told for the way he writes. I'm not a huge fan of it. Still, kind of similar vein in the Gothic, not quite scary. But it's five books so you may not wanna spend the time. I still need to read the fifth. It's got a bit more science explained in it and it references several other prominent Literature, like Milton's Paradise Lost. (cough)

I mean. I love my monster. <3
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Maybe I'll listen to it if I find it online.
earthy

Post by earthy »

Victor Frankenstein definitely wins the award for Worst Dad Ever. <.< >.>

I do hope anyone interested in the characters/story is able to check out the National Theatre version with Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch (https://microsites.nationaltheatre.org. ... nings.html). Super fascinating and primarily from the creature's POV. The actors alternate playing both roles, and I absolutely must marry the lighting.

On a more literary front, I've heard Frankenstein described as the first real science fiction novel--what do you think? Some bookstore owners I talked to recently absolutely disagreed and said there was a ton of what might be considered SF long before Frankenstein. Maybe you could argue it's the first SF novel by a woman?