"Non-Fiction": Pseudo-science and cryptozoology

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Destinie

"Non-Fiction": Pseudo-science and cryptozoology

Post by Destinie »

Anyone??? I love reading stuff about UFOs and Bigfoot (and any other cryptids). Anyone else read stuff like that and have any suggestions?

I put it in "non-fiction" because, well, it's in reference non-fiction when you go to the library but the idea of it being real or not is still left to interpretation. I always thought that was kind of funny. But I guess the books are more of a study of folklore and human interpretation.

(I also really love watching these sorts of specials on TV, too like "Is it Real?" and "Monsterquest".)
karenjeane

Re: "Non-Fiction": Pseudo-science and cryptozoology

Post by karenjeane »

I'm a skeptic so I don't consider UFOs or Bigfoot real by any means, but as you say, Destinie, they do provide a way to better understand human interpretation, folklore, etc. In fact, I often think skeptics enjoy reading about these topics more than most folks! Pick up the Skeptical Inquirer magazine and you'll find a lot of fascinating discussions. (;
Last edited by karenjeane on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

That sounds great! I'd love to check that out! Is this the magazine: http://www.csicop.org/publications ?

I don't know how I feel about some of these things. I do believe that life exists in other parts of the universe but I don't believe that they come here to abduct people. I also don't believe in the existence of creatures such as the Chupacabra, though it'd be kind of fun to do so. ;P

There was actually a very interesting fiction book that I read a couple times in grade school that I really liked and I don't remember what it was called but I remember the cover! (If anyone finds it, please let me know. The cover has a cat sitting on a window seat looking out the window towards a mountain.) It was about this kid who went to move with some relatives and there was a legend of a sasquatch or something that lived in the mountain and people would hear its roar and stuff. But it turned out in the end to be his brother or cousin or something(??) I don't remember, I read it a long time ago. XD;
karenjeane

Post by karenjeane »

That's the one! CSI and its parent organization, Centre for Inquiry, do a lot of good work in the secular humanism community.

I definitely think you're right about life elsewhere, though unlikely to have visited us as yet. To quote from Carl Sagan's Contact, " I guess I'd say if it is just us... seems like an awful waste of space."`

Not familiar with the book you're describing, but the ending seems realistic. :p