How do you read?

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Todd

How do you read?

Post by Todd »

Kindle or Nook? Prefer paperback or hardcovers?

I have two Kindles -- a Fire and a Touch. I use the Touch for novels because of the e-ink screen, and I use the Fire for comics and mangas. I'm in love with both of them, and carry them everywhere. I used to think I could never get into an e-reader because I loved the feel of books, but I gave in a few years ago when I got a Kindle for Christmas. I find I read more now that I have a Kindle than I did when I read physical books.

I also really like the ease of picking a book. I don't have to find or go get a book I want to read. I just purchase it, and in minutes, it's on my device.
dragoneyes

Re: How do you read?

Post by dragoneyes »

I've and use a Kindle, kindly inherited from my brother when he switched to a tablet, but I still prefer the paper version of books better.
Turning the pages is just more satisfying to me, as is the sensation of paper under my fingers.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I'm old school and prefer books. I know it's not as convenient and you pay more for books but I get books that people give to me (usually) and I like having them for reference. I like having the physical book and I like not being plugged into a device. I usually read to try and disconnect myself from technology once in a while.

Also, I like the way books smell. >_<
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I'm way behind in the currently technologies so good old fashioned books for me.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I'm old-fashioned and prefer my books to be actual books. I definitely see the appeal of Nooks/Kindles/etc., but to me, nothing beats the smell of a book, or the way the paper feels when you turn the page. :)
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I mostly just listen to thinks from fiction sites. Though I suppose I might get into some form of audio story device eventually... Maybe.
karenjeane

Post by karenjeane »

I'm probably an unusual case, since I went from traditional to an e-reader and back again. I bought a Sony Reader about 3 years ago, after reading so many glowing consumer reviews of all types of e-readers. I thought I would find reading more convenient with such a device and therefore read more frequently.

I read a total of 2 books on the thing. I own so many paperbacks and hardcovers and comics that I got swept up in those, as well as library books on regular rotation. It was nothing to do with the device - Sony was a good choice - but I just didn't seem to like the format.

This past fall, I gave the Sony Reader to my mom, who now uses it frequently. I read a lot of articles on my iPhone, which I purchased a year ago, but not full books. Still doing that old school.
Juhi

Post by Juhi »

Another old-fashioned reader here. Nothing beats the experience of good ol' paperbacks and hardcovers. I'm especially a geek when it comes to hardcovers; even better when it has elaborate or shiny artwork. Or both!

The biggest con with hardcovers is when they get damaged from excessive use. It breaks my heart when I see little tears and scratches on the cover. When it comes to paperbacks, I generally don't have a problem with typical wear and tear.

I can't get into E-Readers. I'm not a fan of reading on an electronic screen. It starts to strain my eyes after a while.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I prefer reading on my Sony eReader, but I still purchase all my books in paperback as well. Because I'm all about the physical copies even though I find electronic reading preferable from a convenience angle.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I like hardback books, I'll deal with paper back though. I do have an iPad that I can read books on and I do sometimes, like if I don't have the physical copy. I really love reading manga and comic though, not really into novels and such but I have my favorites. The smell of new books is just awesome. I also don't mind audio books, as it lets me say "Patrick Stewart read A Christmas Carol to me." Makes me feel special.
;o; *** pew! pew!