Books: past and future

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Masao
Host

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:07 am

1. What are your favorite books.
Harry Potter always gets a mention, but as of right now, it's the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R.R. Martin. I also really love "The Nightrunner Series" by Lynn Flewelling. I love ASOIAF for its character depth and variety, and how if you really set your biases aside, it's hard to hate any character because when it comes down to it, they're all really well-developed and have good reasons for the way they are. And I love Nightrunner for the world building and wonderful use of prophesy in the first two books especially.

2. What genre do you prefer to read.
Generally, I like fantasy best, but I also love mystery and action/adventure. But I think the best are always mixed genres that manage to make the best out of each. I get really bored with Romance unless it's paired with another genre (as in there's more to the story than just the "romance").

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.
I browse suggestions on goodreads based on books I've already read, or just word of mouth from other people. Sometimes movie adaptions get me to read the original book.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.

Kibumie

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:34 am

- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

- Detective, mystery, classic romance, horror

3. How do you choose what will you read if there is nobody who could rec you the book.

- google search, but nowadays I don't read any novels at all.
aminuet .。. king

Emma
Time Traveler

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

There are so many I could put here. Pride and Prejudice, Wolf Hall, the Book Thief, Jane Eyre, (most of the) Women of the Otherworld series, the Discworld series.

I've no preference. I guess I tend to lean towards fantasy and YA, but I read most anything.

Randomly browsing bookshops (staff picks are usually good!), reading book blogs, browsing goodreads, checking other books by authors I like, the "people who bought this also bought" thing on Amazon...I never have any trouble finding more books to read. I have very large to-read pile!
a spoony bard

vyrallion2

Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:09 am

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru

• Information