Hello everyone!

New, or have been away from the board for a while? Introduce or reintroduce yourself to us!
Forum rules
New and a bit lost? Check out the Getting Started topic and the Mentor Program!
Raeni

Hello everyone!

Post by Raeni »

Hello! I'm Raeni.

I've been wanting to make shrines for a while, but I never did. But I just bought a domain and hosting (mochi.nu) and I'm excited to get started, but also really nervous. I used to run my own personal websites, tiny things with 5 pages or so, but it seems I've forgotten nearly everything. :pale2: I haven't made any graphics or coded since 2012, and that was mainly for tumblr. Nothing on the scale of building my own website from nothing.

But, I still want to do it so I am going to buckle down and relearn things(hopefully better now that the internet has so many more resources for correct code).

I haven't got any shrines started yet but some of my ideas are a Sakura&Tomoyo friendship shrine, a Tenkuu no Escaflowne shrine, a Jung Hoseok shrine(J-Hope of kpop band BTS), A Skyrim shrine. I've got a lot of other nebulous ideas floating around but I'm trying to keep my sights narrow at first, haha.

Anyway nice to meet you all, I hope I can learn a lot from you guys and also see some awesome shrines!!
Lethe

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by Lethe »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah welcome to Amassment!! Cute Sakura icon. :heart: Pretty Tales of Zestiria (?) background. :heart: :heart: :heart: ADORABLE DOMAIN.

I'm glad you've signed up and decided to get back into making websites! :D There are plenty of resources and knowledgeable members around the forums (and the chat) if you have any questions. :star: :music2: (And if you can't find something, message me anytime!)

I would LOVE to see a Sakura&Tomoyo shrine, and also the Escaflowne shrine! Actually, this might be good timing - some members have mentioned wanting to shrine CCS-related things over the past week! :star:

Good luck with your projects!! :heart:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Hey Raeni! Welcome <3. I'm a recent addition as well, for many similar reasons - haunted shrines forever, not terribly well experienced with HTML or graphics, but glad to roll up my sleeves now. As for your ideas, they're going to be ABSOLUTELY well received. Several folks (as Lethe mentioned) have recently got back into Card Captor Sakura - I remember it well from my days watching Toonami, I think I freaking cried during the credit sequence more than once. And there's no shortage of Escaflowne love around here. I'm not familiar with it, but definitely on my list to watch, and many great shrines in the community. And though you say you've forgotten everything, I think your current domain page is pretty dang cute. Great image, great font, great start. <3

If you're looking for a productivity friend as you start out, also, as this lovely thread by Chibi suggests, please don't hesitate to reach out. I think these forums are a general productivity boost (everyone is incredibly helpful) anyway!

Also: should you feel like using the chat (totally non-required), I can testify I am a shy person who now logs on daily. I mention only because I was really intimidated initially, and I promise, it's a very welcoming space. The emotional equivalent of walking into a room full of bean bag chairs.

"Sophia, that metaphor doesn't make any sense." Hush, beanbag. <3

Anyway: welcome!

RAY GUN SUE
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Welcome, Raeni!! :star: First of all, I LOVE YOUR SAKURA ICON. :heart: You domain URL is lovely (and so is your splash page) and I am already looking forward to your Sakura&Tomoyo shrine (huge CCS fan)! :D

Everyone here is very nice and helpful, so even if you haven't coded in a while, just ask around and everyone will help you (I can offer some help too, hopefully)! And if you want to be productivity buddies, I (and all the others in the thread that Sophia linked - thank you Sophia!) will be more than happy to help you! :heart:

Excited to see you around (and hopefully in the chat too :D) and hope you have a great time here! :heart:
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Yay beanbags :3

HELLO AND WELCOME RAENI what a cute domain you have omg

I have more focused/narrow interests so I don't know much about Escaflowne or K-pop but do I ever know about Card Captor Sakura and I am really looking forward to your Sakura & Tomoyo shrine!

My name is Nyx and I've been making hobby websites since 1998! Please feel free to poke me in the head if you have HTML/CSS questions!
Last edited by nyxmidnight on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Hello, Raeni! Welcome to Amassment! Your domain and Zestiria background are soooo gorgeous. Such a dreamy feel~

Amassment is a great place for getting back into webdesign and especially for shrining! Good luck and can't wait to see what you make!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Welcome, Raeni! Your domain name is adorable omg.

This place is very helpful, not just with coding and technical things, but also with cheerleading and inspiring each other. I look forward to seeing you around and your future shrines!
a spoony bard
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Hi and welcome to Amassment, Raeni!

I'm so glad you decided to join us, and I can't wait to see the sites you'll be making soon. :heh:
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Raeni

Post by Raeni »

Wow I wasn't expecting so many responses! You guys are awesome. :D Thanks for the love for my domain, I was kind of surprised it wasn't taken. Who doesn't love mochi?? :inlove:
Speaking of, has anyone had any experience with nunames.nu? They are who I got my domain and hosting from. I suppose $35 for the whole year I can't complain even if it turns out not to my liking... and I can't imagine I will need much more than I have now.

Also do you guys pronounce .nu as "new" or like "nyuu"? I have always said "new" but just realized it might be different all this time...

And yes that is Tales of Zestiria! I know some people rag on it but I really love that game(and show). (Speaking of Tales, I want to make a Sophie from Tales of Graces shrine too, she's the best)

I will look into the chat! I feel like that will be a great way to learn and get to know you all. Thank you all for the warm welcome~ :heart: And awesomely, it's now my weekend so I'm gonna get started making some shrines.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I'm French so I read is as "nu" with the French "u" sound.

"nu" means "naked" in French btw :eyes:

It's generally not recommended to be hosted where you buy your domain because if you don't like the hosting and decide to move they might hold your domain hostage, but don't worry too much about it. Test things out with them, and if you decide to change host for any reason, we'll help you find great hosting!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone