Favorite movies? :D

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: Favorite movies? :D

Post by Sarah »

Yes, it did remind me of The Goonies a little! :) And I feel bad about what they did to E.T. I don't think that was necessary at all, to replace the puppet with CGI. It just bothers me when awesome movies are "improved" years after their original release. /glances at Star Wars
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't like ET either way. I love it when they upgrade movies and enjoyed what they did with Star Wars. The bright colors, the pretty effects, those who've been talking to me at Amassment for a while know by now how "visual" I can be. The story is the same, so that's just as good. There's no sacrifice from my perspective and for freedom with the imagery, since they don't have to worry about hard to manage physical elements hindering their progress, limiting their possibilities and in some cases eating up their time and budget. I would love to see a CG gremling, so cute! *.*
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Sarah wrote:Yes, it did remind me of The Goonies a little! :) And I feel bad about what they did to E.T. I don't think that was necessary at all, to replace the puppet with CGI. It just bothers me when awesome movies are "improved" years after their original release. /glances at Star Wars
Han shot first!!!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Mikari wrote:I don't like ET either way. I love it when they upgrade movies and enjoyed what they did with Star Wars. The bright colors, the pretty effects, those who've been talking to me at Amassment for a while know by now how "visual" I can be. The story is the same, so that's just as good. There's no sacrifice from my perspective and for freedom with the imagery, since they don't have to worry about hard to manage physical elements hindering their progress, limiting their possibilities and in some cases eating up their time and budget. I would love to see a CG gremling, so cute! *.*
I just think that CG animation really takes away from a movie if it's not done well. For ET, for me at least, part of the alien-ness of ET was the herky jerky way he moved and shuffled around. How his movements were slow and agonizing. When Patrick and I rewatched it, it was like we were seeing a completely different creature. NEW! ET is fast and makes all sorts of crazy animated movements, and it's almost like he's not impacted by gravity. To us, it was like they tried to rewrite a bit of our childhood and saying "No, we never intended for ET to be a sluggish, awkward creature. We always pictured him this way." It's not really up for us as the audience to determine their original view of how the film should be, but that's the way I liked it and didn't think it needed "improvement".

My other problem with CG is that the creatures usually look like they are not impacted by gravity. They are too shiny, the move to easily, they don't appear to have actual mass. An example of what I mean is if you watch Alien then watch Alien: Resurrection. They still use some puppetry at parts but you can tell the movements from puppet and animation.

(By this can you tell that I am a big fan of suit acting, too? HA!)

But, like you said you really like it, and that's cool. :D I will agree with you that I did actually like some of the creatures they put into Star Wars: Episode IV when I was younger. xD;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Han did shoot first, though I blame that in the script changes rather than the visual revamp itself. XD

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of gravity and like it when it is defied via CG or by real live actors with clever camera tricks.

Speaking of SW I though CG Yoda's super agility in E2 was a bit much. I always thought he was more about the mind and the force rather than the acrobatics associated with younger Jedi. Even so I was still amused by it. It didn't bother me as I thought it was hilarious how he bounced around, yet he walked with a cane the rest of the time.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

RE: Yoda. I know, right?! I was like "Whoa, where'd that come from??"
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Destinie wrote:RE: Yoda. I know, right?! I was like "Whoa, where'd that come from??"
My thoughts exactly!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Everyone is welcome to jump in any time :D I've never watched the whole movie. I've watched it, but in parts on separate occasions. I can piece it together well enough, but I wonder if watching the whole thing would have more of an effect? Not that I'm expecting much as "scary" movies don't really scare me.
Icewolf

Post by Icewolf »

There are quite a lot of Science Fiction and Fantasy that I like, but the ones that top the list (so I don't go into a long, boring list of films) are Star Wars (all of them, but more the OT than the Prequels), The Lord of the Rings (Star Wars will always be my favourite, but I consider LOTR to be the better made when you compare them), The Hobbit and Indiana Jones.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Amanda: I have never seen an Exorcist movie and I never will. I'm sorry. I just can't.

@Destinie & Mikari: And I'm totally Yoda bias so I think it awesome to see him fight and jump around. He is a Jedi Master and should be able to do quite a lot since he has trained for a long time. Plus it's Yoda!

@Icewolf: I like Star Wars (I prefer 4, 5 and 6), Lord of the Rings and Indiana Jones (didn't like the fourth movie) too. I haven't seen The Hobbit.

My sister (Snow) and I were watching Lord of the Rings once and we fast forwarded through all but one Hobbit part (the part were Pippin sings). The movie was much shorter and I liked it a bit more. ^-^
;o; *** pew! pew!