Christmas Movies & TV Specials

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
karenjeane

Christmas Movies & TV Specials

Post by karenjeane »

What are some of your favourite Christmas movies and TV specials? Classic or recent, well-known or lesser-known, all good.

I still have a fondness for the specials I watched as a kid, especially A Muppet Family Christmas and Christmas Eve on Sesame Street. I'm sure there were a ton more with every character from Garfield to She-Ra, but the Jim Henson productions seem to have held up the best.

While I didn't seem to watch as many holiday movies as a kid, I still enjoy '90s productions like Jingle All The Way and The Santa Clause.

Anyway, please share your favourites and memories!
Eden

Re: Christmas Movies & TV Specials

Post by Eden »

Most Christmas movies make me want to gag at their cheesiness. I'm not into the ones my mom watches on the Hallmark and Lifetime channels. I don't even really like Christmas movies at all. Only few exceptions are the classics Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. Then there's Christmas With The Kranks and The Santa Clause. Otherwise, I'm not really into them.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Varen

Post by Varen »

Both the animated and the live action adaption of Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The first is cute, short, and I like the art, the second is just damn hilarious and spins off some unusual tropes, such as the femme fatale actually being a total sweetheart who loves the Grinch. Plus, it's Jim effing Carrey. He makes even the crappiest movies entertaining.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
anon

Post by anon »

Hello, 24 hour marathon of A Christmas Story is my idea of a Christmas. That movie never gets old IMO. The jokes are always funny to me whenever I come upon it every year.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

There aren't really any Christmas movies I'll watch, mainly because I don't watch much TV. However, it just isn't quite Christmas for me without watching It's a Wonderful Life at least once.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

There used to be those Rudolf and Frosty movies that aired every year since I was little... and I always watched some of it but never the whole thing, even if it was there every year. ^^;; I was never a big fan of holiday movies. Although I was amused by that Turbo Man movie.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I really love the Rankin/Bass Christmas classics. I watch Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer every year. As well as The Year Without a Santa Claus, Jack Frost, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. I also like Rudolph's Shiny New Year, with that adorable Baby New Year and his giant ears. Not to mention the song "It's Raining Sunshine", lol.

Oh my gosh, and Mickey's Christmas Carol. I love that one. It always makes me cry when the Ghost of Christmas Future shows Scrooge that Tiny Tim will die.. ;_;

And of course, Elf is my favorite Christmas movie and one of my favorite movies overall. I watch it during the holidays but have been known to watch it in the middle of summer, as well.

I also like Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York. There is something so comforting and nostalgic about watching those movies.. And thanks to my sister, I saw National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for the first time this past Christmas. (She gave me grief about that.) It was hilarious.

@Varen - I totally ship Martha May and the Grinch. :x And I liked seeing the Grinch's backstory.

@Mikari - Is that Jingle All the Way you're talking about? lol I never saw it, but I remember when it came out. Also that Ahnold and Sinbad are in it.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I love Elf, I even watch it when it's not Christmas. The other family favorite is A Christmas Story. (Reminds me of growing up.)

@Sarah Jingle All the Way is so Bad-Good. You should watch it!