Rewatching Old Favorites

Any series that isn't anime as well as live action movies.
Robin
Events Staffer

Rewatching Old Favorites

Post by Robin »

Inspired by my recent rewatch of the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series, I was wondering:

Ever rewatched an old favorite movie/TV series and had new realizations about it?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Rewatching Old Favorites

Post by dubiousdisc »

About always, like the other day I was rewatching (parts of) the first Pokemon movie and realized a few more things about it. I've watched it no less than 30 times XD

And yeah, even with Yu-Gi-Oh! itself, a few months ago I rewatched Season Zero and realized a few things about the background of all these kids, how much cooler was Anzu written in the beginning, and what was Miho's point anyway (the first time I didn't like her, now that I've noticed a few things she's one of my favorite characters).

What sort of stuff did you notice?
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

LOL I've only ever heard about Season 0, never watched any of it! (My impressions are that it's kind of like Yu-Gi-Oh! the Beta Version, lmao--not sure how accurate that is xD) I'd definitely like to learn more about it even though it won't be part of the scope of my eventual shrine :D

(Some spoiler-rific thoughts about the show follow here)
Show/HideSPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Mostly my realizations are about story arcs as a whole--for instance, the Waking the Dragons arc felt SUPER strange to me when I first was trying to watch it, like the show had sorta gone off the rails for me. But watching back through it, I found out that 1) I must have missed like half the arc here and there because I didn't remember certain eps at all, and 2) WtD is about catastrophic losses that deconstruct each character's tropes heretofore. Yami Yugi finally loses a duel due to his own rage overcoming his apparent savior complex; Joey loses Mai's friendship (and love) through no fault of his own; Tea, Tristan, and Rebecca all lose "little Yugi" for a time and are powerless to help as they usually do; Kaiba loses face as a businessman thanks to machinations beyond his control; Yugi loses his bond with Yami Yugi and is out of the picture completely for most of the arc, etc. I like this touch because it sorta feels like the show is breaking the fourth wall a bit at times, and really exploring these characters as opposed to allowing them to remain flat tropes.

I'm also studying Kaiba a lot more in depth in preparation for the shrine, and realizing that I now see more evidence that he's aromantic and asexual--intimacy and romance just seem unfitting and alien for him, if that makes sense. That kind of thinking and knowledge wasn't even part of my worldview back in the day, but it is now and it just makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE lmao!
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

It's...very different from what it became later, as it's actually about games in general and not about just card games! To be honest, I actually like it better than the rest of Yu-Gi-Oh!, if nothing else because it's more varied. Also two main female characters. And the main cast's personal lives make more sense than later on (they are actually shown IN SCHOOL, imagine that, 14-year-old kids going to school instead of going everywhere to play card games wow). And Honda's character... The other female character in this part, Miho, is what made Honda's character make any sense - without her, he has very little point. But she ended up being written out and never mentioned again D:

But I see what you're saying, and I agree!
Kaiba would have no idea what to do with any of that stuff, yeah. The only thing he wants stroked is his ego XD (I'm half joking and half serious)

Good luck with the shrine btw! I can't wait :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

dubiousdisc wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:53 am It's...very different from what it became later, as it's actually about games in general and not about just card games! To be honest, I actually like it better than the rest of Yu-Gi-Oh!, if nothing else because it's more varied. Also two main female characters. And the main cast's personal lives make more sense than later on (they are actually shown IN SCHOOL, imagine that, 14-year-old kids going to school instead of going everywhere to play card games wow). And Honda's character... The other female character in this part, Miho, is what made Honda's character make any sense - without her, he has very little point. But she ended up being written out and never mentioned again D:

But I see what you're saying, and I agree!
Kaiba would have no idea what to do with any of that stuff, yeah. The only thing he wants stroked is his ego XD (I'm half joking and half serious)

Good luck with the shrine btw! I can't wait :D
Ahhhh I hear ya! LOL yeah most of YGO is so funny like that because half the time I'm like "um don't yall have school???? but wait CARD GAMES ok whatevs ^o^" And I can definitely understand the frustration with Honda's character and Miho being written out... agh I had no idea.
bahaha I just about fell off the bed laughing at what you put in the hide tag XD so accurate though! And the shrine is coming along--still rewatching bits and pieces, trying to make sense of stuff. I have bullet points and disjointed paragraphs for SO MANY ARTICLES NOW XD
withinmyworld.org
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Yes! I’m actually bingewatching “Friends” again (season one as of now). I’m writing down my favorite episodes this time, just to have a “definitive list,” because I’m a dork.

So, because of that, I’m paying more attention and looking at it with a more critical eye.

In all honesty, I’m noticing the changes in acting ability some of them went through. Jen Aniston was kind of... weak when they started. Now, in all fairness, so was her character (Rachel) back then. But her delivery was kind of awkward and like, “look at me, I’m acting... here’s where I say the line.” Ha ha.

Also, the whole Ross/Rachel thing that drove the whole series? Kind of annoying when you aren’t a teenager or young 20s watching it unfold. ;) You totally root for them in the pilot, and in episodes such as, “The One With the East German Laundry Detergent.” But overall, it comes across more creepy than darling.

On the flip side, upon rewatching, I’m so happy Chandler and Monica ended up together. I love them both so much more now that I’m older (and happily married to my best friend).

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

I recently sat down and rewatched all of the original X-Files. It honestly was a really good series until the last few seasons. I loved the main storyline as well as the monster of the week episodes. Some were really, really great.

Anyone ever attempt to watch some of your favorite childhood animated movies? At least ones from the 80's and 90's that weren't Disney or Don Bluth, Pixar/Dreamworks. I can sit down and watch those any day and still enjoy them.

I remember when I was 6 years old being really, really obsessed with Care Bears. The 2nd movie was my absolute favorite. I'd get up early just to watch it when it aired on the Disney channel. (and we didn't always have it, it was like a paid extra on cable and kind of expensive). I found it in a bargin dvd bin and hoooolly mooolllyyy. I couldn't.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

@Bobbi I actually watched the Care Bears movies recently and hahaha, I know XD
Honestly I found the second movie sorta charming in a trashy way XD I couldn't hate it because I know my inner child would have been all over it, what with the villain being essentially Satan (also it was a big favorite of @ritabuuk as a child...)

I did somewhat recently rewatch La Gabbianella e il Gatto (italian animation, came out when I was a kid) and it was still just as cute as when I first watched it, although today I see a few pacing flaws.

One thing about animated movies that came out in the 90s especially though is... the early CG hhhhhh

There's a scene in that movie where something made of glass breaks and the glass first shatters in ABSOLUTE GARBAGE CG... and then falls down onto the characters all hand-animated and nice and I'm just... wow, if they had known that in twenty years this would have looked like a dumpster.